Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bruto
    started a topic The Mother of all Rack Mixers

The Mother of all Rack Mixers

The Roland M-480 has 24 stereo inputs (or 48 mono, but it's really set up for stereo.) I don't think anyone else has ever made a rack mount mixer this big. I can plug everything I own into this, including a few synths with 4 outs. I just got one off eBay to replace my Behringer 1602 which has been giving me trouble. These used to be quite rare, but suddenly 3 have popped up on eBay in the last 2 weeks.

• syncretism
    replied
    Perversely, a second-hand Speck Ultramix cost me about 1500 USD. Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• suitandtieguy
    replied
    so how did you like that M-480, Bruto? is it pretty clean?

i'm thinking maybe that's the way to go now for me.

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied
    The X-Sum is 1600 usd. I provided links to each product in my previous prost.

Whoops, must have had a spell of dyslexia. The X-Sum is $1600. Still a good deal considering what the Roland M-480 cost new.

Leave a comment:

• syncretism
    replied
    So the xtramix is $1600.

The X-Sum is 1600 usd. I provided links to each product in my previous prost.

Leave a comment:

• crufty
    replied
    sounds like my pl2404. I can't escape the feeling the old adage is true...you get what you pay for.

BUT, its good in a pinch.

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied

So the xtramix is $1600. That's actually not bad when compared to the Roland M-480, which listed for $3000 new. Of course the M-480 sells for $300 to $400 now, but if you buy one on eBay, you have to hope you get one with clean channels all the way through. (I don't have mine yet, so I've got my fingers crossed.)

Also, sounds like most people have had good luck with the Behringer 1602. Mine started giving me trouble a few months ago. Channel 1/2 cuts out on left, and channel 3/4 has static. Worked fine for a year, and then it started to go.

Leave a comment:

• syncretism
    replied
    Wow, I've never seen that mixer before. Haven't even heard of Speck. Do you know what it costs?

Retail/direct prices:

Xtramix $5,295.00/$4,520.00
    X-Sum w/breakout box $1,595.00/$1,595.00

Leave a comment:

• EJ2
    replied
    I didn't know there even WAS an M480, I thought the M240 was their biggest one. What a slew of tiny little knobs.

Same here. I still use mine.

Leave a comment:

• Khazul
    replied
    I've always been tempted by this mixer, since it seems to go for a pretty nice price, and Roland's pro audio stuff has been very good to me {but coming from a decade earlier}.

Still, I rate this as the mother of all rack mixers:

http://www.speck.com/xtramix/xmix_2.shtml

Lovely.

Yes - very nice. Instant 'want one' until I saw the price, which to be fair aint bad, just not exactly a couple of grand or so...

Shame - Its exactly the kind of thing I need - I could probably use all of its (76?) inputs allready.

Leave a comment:

• eminor9
    replied
    Almost bought the Speck some time ago since it actually became affordable for Europeans as a result of decreasing $ - but then I realized it doesn't have on board eq, bummer.

For time being I'll be using my Samson PL2404 cascaded with PL1202.
    I've looked at the Allen & Heath W20 but unfortunately it doesn't offer enough busses for my current workflow and I don't have space for a large console.

Nothing ever seems to be perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Aanalogaddict
    replied
    I bought a Behringer 1602 about a year ago. It's been working just fine, no noticeable sound coloration, enough headroom and very slim. The only downside for me is the lack of stereo aux send, anything that goes to the aux gets summed to mono.

Leave a comment:

• suitandtieguy
    replied
    i used the LM3204 from 2002-now (although there was like 2 years when my rig wasn't put together) and while i like the rack thing, i needed more routing with my current tastes.

as in, i need a mute button and a secondary buss. i also don't need EQ at all. in fact, i might even bypass the EQ on this Ramsa desk i'm using now.

the Speck, while it is the nicest mixer ever made, has an interface so small i couldn't deal with it. i suppose the M-480 would also have the small thing working against it. however it does have 6 independently-addressable _stereo_ sends.

i'm going to use this Ramsa for a while and then re-evaluate.

Leave a comment:

• Paolo Di Nicolantonio
    replied
    I had a Roland M-160 for several years - very nice unit.

Leave a comment:

• killedaway
    replied
    So you bought a Behringer.

and if we were talking about some other Behringer mixer, i might be inclined to agree with you. i researched the 1602 on various review sites and forums (including this and VSE) and came away with a very positive impression. i believe its basic architecture and lack of a preamp section aid in its low noise reputation (but i'm not an expert so i can't say for sure).

further to the point, a used mixer (how used or even abused being impossible to tell) coming from someone who may or may not have explored all of its capabilities and functions (and thereby its flaws), has the potential to be a noisy hunk of crap when it reaches one's doorstep. in the case of the Behringer, if it proves itself noisy or malfunctioning, i have only to ship it back to the outfit from which i purchased it, at their expense. that's a much more inviting prospect, to me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X