Audio Track Expansion for Fantoms

• Members

Well i did a search here and google and have found out, sadly, that the Audio Track Expansion is now near impossible to find by itself.

Coupla questions -

1) Can you remove it from one fantom and install it on another? I assume yes since there were threads about 'trading" it around.

2) How much would it push up the value of a used Fantom x?

3) Is it really that impossible to find now?

THANKS!

• Members

It comes on a compact flash card and is inserted into the back of the Fantom X with a pc card adapter.

I'm not really sure it would add value to the X. Some people would prefer to buy one with it installed. For others it might not matter. It might increase the value of the card itself since they seem to be scarce.

I've been loaning mine out for the past year or so. It's on its way back from England at the moment.

• Members

It comes on a compact flash card and is inserted into the back of the Fantom X with a pc card adapter.

I'm not really sure it would add value to the X. Some people would prefer to buy one with it installed. For others it might not matter. It might increase the value of the card itself since they seem to be scarce.

I've been loaning mine out for the past year or so. It's on its way back from England at the moment.

so it actually isn't an OS update, it's a physical CARD that sticks out of the machine?

in other words, i could buy a used fantom with the Audio Track expansion sticker on the front, but if they don't ship that little card and it's adaptor, i'm SOL?

• Members

in other words, i could buy a used fantom with the Audio Track expansion sticker on the front, but if they don't ship that little card and it's adaptor, i'm SOL?

If you find a Fantom X with the sticker on it, or if someone has already updated an older unit, there is nothing you need to do.

• Members

The audio track expansion amounts to a compact flash card containing a folder with a few files in it. Since Roland apparently isn't selling the expansion anymore, you'd think they would just put it up online for free download.

• Members

It IS an OS update (version 2.0) that comes on a physical card.

Newer Fantom X units already have the OS update pre-installed.

If you find a Fantom X with the sticker on it, or if someone has already updated an older unit, there is nothing you need to do.

so a fantom wit the audio track expansion sticker has it internally right out of the factory? no external card kit thing, it's all inside already?

as opposed to on an external PC card, i.e. the Audio Track Expansion Kit.

• Members

so a fantom wit the audio track expansion sticker has it internally right out of the factory? no external card kit thing, it's all inside already?

as opposed to on an external PC card, i.e. the Audio Track Expansion Kit.

The Audio Track expansion is just a software/OS upgrade. Once you've installed it and upgraded the OS, you don't need to plug in the card anymore.

• Members

The Audio Track expansion is just a software/OS upgrade. Once you've installed it and upgraded the OS, you don't need to plug in the card anymore.

Ah - so do the newer Fantom X's have the card as a backup? or just already built in and no physical card?

• Members

Ah - so do the newer Fantom X's have the card as a backup? or just already built in and no physical card?

The Audio Track expansion is just an Operating System upgrade (OS 2.0). Once the newest OS is installed, you no longer need the card. The card was just the mechanism they used to distribute the OS. Forget about the card.

As an example, I purchased a Fantom XR rack, which also had an OS v2.0 upgrade. My unit was manufactured after the upgrade, so my rack already had OS 2.0 on it. There was no card included since it wasn't needed.

The ONLY circumstance in which you would need the OS 2.0 upgrade card would be if you purchased an older unit. As others with older units have done, they simply borrow one of these "upgrade cards" to upgrade their units, then they are done.

• Members

great! thanks for clearing up my confusion. one more question relate to this i suppose - can you just buy a PC adator card at best buy or something for the PC card slot?

Yes. They're generally not hard to find, and not very expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I now have in my possession two Fantoms (an X6 and an X7). I am in the process of moving to an X7 (before I sell my X6). The X6 has the audio track expansion with V2 software, the X7 doesn't -- it still has v1 software.

Is it possible to transfer the V2 upgrade from the X6 to the X7? If so, any ideas how?

Thanks,

Geoff

• Members

Unfortunately I don't believe it's possible to transfer the Audio Track Expansion from one machine to another, since you cannot extract the original installation files from the Fantom itself. You would need the original installation files to upgrade another Fantom.

• Members

great! thanks for clearing up my confusion. one more question relate to this i suppose - can you just buy a PC adator card at best buy or something for the PC card slot?

I bought this PC card adapter for my brother [along with a Fantom X6]. He uses that slot to record audio tracks directly to memory card which he then transfers to his PC to render the audio to MP3 because he's not using a sequencing program on his PC for now.

Look at this photo. See that long orange sticker right under "X6" on the far left side of the keyboard? If your keyboard has it, you don't need an upgrade kit. The machine already has the lastest OS :)

fantom_x6.jpg

• 9 years later...

Archived