Cable management: tips and tricks??

• Members

I used to want tons of gear with all sorts of holes and plugs and cables everywhere. Now i am drowning in my own mess and things are getting exponentially more complicated.

So how do you manage your cables in the studio and while traveling??

I label every cable for organizing and set-up, but I am looking for tips on cable storage and management.

My newest trick is to coil three cords, slice an empty toilet paper roll lenghth wise, wrap it around said cords and boom! instant snake handle and it keeps the plugs safe.

Please share your secrets and pics if you got them....

• Members

I bought a few rolls of Velcro cable ties at my local hardware store. I use those for tying up coils of individual cables. Then I have them sonewhat organized by length.

When they're actuall in use, though, it's another thing altogether. Cables everywhere. :cry: I just picked up one of those "comb binder"-style cable organizers at Staples, but haven't actually tried it yet. Maybe I should go do that.

• Members

I use those split corrugated plastic conduits you can get at office supply stores and Velcro ties to keep cables neat while in use. (I run AC and audio in seperate conduits)

For cable storage I have a bunch of 3" high plastic containers with lids that slide into 3 sets of grooved shelves that I've placed in the back of my closet...not custom, they're available from Ikea. Very handy. :)

rusty6.jpg

• Members

I organize hundreds of cables coming in and out of data racks as part of my job, and velcro type products are perfect for bundles that change and zip ties are perfect for those that are pretty much "permanent" bundles. Careful with zip ties, cinching them down too tight will break your conductors or shielding, also can contribute to cross-talk if you lace them together too neatly.

• Members

I use those split corrugated plastic conduits you can get at office supply stores and Velcro ties to keep cables neat while in use. (I run AC and audio in seperate conduits)

For cable storage I have a bunch of 3" high plastic containers with lids that slide into 3 sets of grooved shelves that I've placed in the back of my closet...not custom, they're available from Ikea. Very handy.
:)

rusty6.jpg

Is the fire extinguisher to put out the fire from the blazing wrath of your fingerwork?

Also, the split loom tubing you speak of is a great way to conceal cables and keep them bundled, we usually use a little strip of black electrical tape every couple of feet or where necessary to hold the tubing closed and maximize concealment.

• Members

Is the fire extinguisher to put out the fire from the blazing wrath of your fingerwork?

I wish. ;)

I've got five fire extinguishers throughout the house...when you actually need one its nice to not have to go too far to get one. :eek:

• Members

Cabling, IMHO, is the make-or-break part of set up.

Too many buy inferior cables, that lose their hi-end, become brittle, have noise issues, poor plugs etc..

So I offer these few steps (feel free forum to add as you see fit)

1) SPEND the extra $ to get the best cabling you can afford or afford to custom make yourself.

2) Dont use a 50' cable for patch cord. Make or buy the right cable for the right distance. All of the extra rubber gets in the way and may add potential noise

3) Cut down you power cords' length. Go to a hardware store and get new plugs. Its easier than you think.

4) Get your cables off the floor: mount power strips, install patch bays.

static electricity build up in carpets too- so you wont want that next to your data lines.

5) Isolate your lines: Keep MIDI and audio away from all power lines, use tubing to insulate and segregate.

6) LABEL EVERYTHING!!! Nothing ruins the creative process more than finding a problem with your cabling and not knowing which one it is.

7) You can never have enough cable ties, BUT test everything first before you commit to tying them down. And snip those loose ends close otherwise you can get cut reaching around them in the dark.

8) Know your rig. Is it balanced/unbalanced? Is your voltage regulated and your power conditioned? Have you isolated your circuits?

9) When given an option go for the jack which has the better connection: AES/EBU over SPDF, TRS over RCA etc.

10) LEARN HOW TO SOLDER! And keep those tools handy.

• Members

I guess I should add that all my cables are balanced, high quality. Everything is properly grounded, power conditioned, etc. The only unintentional noise in my studio emits* from the Mac G5.

*eminates?

Archived