OT: How is the current economic environment altering your life?

AnCap

• Members

Are you worried about your job?

Ability to pay rent or mortgage?

Your retirement / 401k?

Are you putting off purchases?

Is it altering your income directly from music?

Are you worried about a prolonged recession?

I have decided against large purchases, I am trying to avoid some frivolous spending.

I know this is somewhat of a downer, but it has been on my mind quite a bit.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No

No

Your retirement / 401k?
The immediate effect of the downturn will be to shag the value of my pension fund good time. Fortunately retirement is a couple of decades off so I may benefit in the long run through making contributions over a period when stocks are relatively cheap.

Next year's holidays may be modest. But the family did well on that front this year, so next year would be a good time to scale things down anyway.

N/A

I worry for folk who are losing jobs and homes. Real insecurity is a terrible thing, let alone actual poverty. I hope that the safety nets that our societies offer can provide protection to those who genuinely need them over this time.

my overriding hopes are

1. that this does not turn into a depression and

2. that we will end up with a society less obsessed with material gain.

On 1 i remain in hope. i am not holding my breath on 2.:mad:

• Members

I've been un-employed since Aug 20th.

Keys and synth modules are declining in value, and that is a part of my income now, so it's affected me a little. Still, I only net between 400-600 month doing that, so it's no huge impact. That, plus unemployement and some computer programming on the side keep the rent paid and food on the table.

I haven't had a retirement plan since 2000.

I'm still acquring new gear. Mostly through horse trading.

I'm not worried. I always seem to ne "taken care of"

• Members

The media has a vested interest in the current catastrophe affecting as many people as possible...so that the "correct" people can ride into town and "fix" everything (read: "spread the wealth around"). I am my own economic solution....not the government...whether local, state, federal, or, if all goes according to the New Plan...Global (Darwin help us all).

• Members

It's not. I was barely working before and I'm barely working (at, mind you, a nice enough rate) now. My wife's a teacher with reasonable seniority. If I was dependent on construction or manufacturing or their derivitive, I'd be worried.

We've just elected a minority Conservative government with a control-freak anti-human true believer at the helm. I'd be very worried.

• Members

Not really. Already had a round of cutbacks last year, so my department is already running on the lean side.

No worries.

Your retirement / 401k?
In the toilet, waiting for the rebound.

Not really.

Didn't have any to begin with.

Somewhat, yes.

And there ya go.

• Members

In music (as this is a musician forum), I have reduced hardware spending and have been making careful considerations largely based on established acts with my desired realm of influence.

Example, I notice Junkie XL is an avid user of softsynths in his productions but runs the audio through outboard to obtain a "fuller" sound.

I also believe that Logic 8 is a sound investment given all it can do but I really don't see anybody using all the facets of its' potential.

Outside music, I cook more now and bring my lunch to work. I don't go out as much. I've just purchased a coffee maker instead of constantly buying from Starbucks or Maxi Java.

I got rid of the gas powered lawnmower and purchased an electric mower.

• Members

I am always worried!

Worried that I get fired

Worried that my wifes boyfriend finds out that she is married

Worried that my kids knock down the B&O

Worried that the ants find a way into the house

Worried that a tree falls on the roof

Worried that my son doesn't stop sucking his thumb

Worried that a thunderstorm hits the house and fries the synths

Worried that we are running out of diapers for the youngest

Worried about Hamilton winning the next race

Worried about my wife finding out on my life insurance policy

Worried about my analog gear

Worried about the earth stop spinning and me sticking on the dark side

puhhhh, I need a breath.

Yes, I am also worried about the oxygen content in the air

• Members

Are you worried about your job? I quit my job in July to start my own business.

Ability to pay rent or mortgage? My home is modest and paid for.

Your retirement / 401k? I've lost some money.

Are you putting off purchases? No. But spending much more time doing my homework before I buy.

Is it altering your income directly from music? Not yet.

Are you worried about a prolonged recession? No. I'm more worried about a government totally out of touch with its folks. They truly screw up everything they touch. Anyone who thinks the next president is going to make their life better needs to pass whatever it is they're smoking my way.

• Members

I quit my job in July to start my own business.

My home is modest and paid for.

Your retirement / 401k?
I've lost some money.

No. But spending much more time doing my homework before I buy.

Not yet.

No. I'm more worried about a government totally out of touch with its folks. They truly screw up everything they touch. Anyone who thinks the next president is going to make their life better needs to pass whatever it is they're smoking my way.

How DAAAAAAAAARE you make sense. :mad:

• Members

I quit my job in July to start my own business.

My home is modest and paid for.

Your retirement / 401k?
I've lost some money.

No. But spending much more time doing my homework before I buy.

Not yet.

No. I'm more worried about a government totally out of touch with its folks. They truly screw up everything they touch. Anyone who thinks the next president is going to make their life better needs to pass whatever it is they're smoking my way.

amen

• Members

Are you worried about your job? Earlier this year I left my employer of 17 years because the company/industry is deeply troubled and floundering. I plan to embark upon career v2.0 in 2009, but am afraid the economic problems could complicate that effort.

Ability to pay rent or mortgage? No. My mortgage payment is relatively modest and I have substantial savings. Fortunately, during the past couple of years I moved a majority of my liquid assets out of the stock market. Whew.

Your retirement / 401k? I don't plan to touch my 401k for at least 15 years. And I wouldn't know what I'd do with myself if I was "retired."

Are you putting off purchases? Not really, but there's nothing significant I need to purchase at the moment, musical or otherwise. My main focus is putting my two kids (ages 17 and 19) through college.

Is it altering your income directly from music? No, but if clubs scale back on live entertainment it could.

Are you worried about a prolonged recession? Yes, absolutely.

• Members

Anxiety is interest paid on a loan not yet due ...

If I lose my job, I'll use that window to become big-time pron producer ... Or maybe join an end-times cult ...

Think of the possibilities ...

I'm just glad I have just about everything I "need" in my studio ... Except a high-end effects unit ... and a Jupiter-8 ... and LinnDrum II .... Advanced audio interface/mixer/control surface ... not to mention a kick-ass video camera (which is probably what I'll get first

• Members

instability and uncertainty is the new problem we face. We can no longer take for granted the blessings we've had for years that we didn't even realize we had such as a lifestyle of riches that was almost unparraleled in most countries in the world (think 5 TVs, 3 computers, 2 cars on average in most homes), job opportunities everywhere, border security, great military, some of the best educational facilities in the world, shopping centers, etc... We're going to have to tighten our belts and act responsibly as a nation by paying our bills, building our solvency up again because if we don't fix our economy, I fear a great domino effect will ensue that will leave us in a predicament similar to that of Russia in during the 90's.

Somehow I feel our current moral state has quite a bit to do with our problems as it seems that money has become the god of people in the United States and knowledge / intellectualism the new religion. This cannot be good in the long run. We need to restore moral order to bring structure back to this country.

• Members

Not much. We're still "crazy busy" even in the slump.

No, I got into a house 6 years back on equity from a condo and the mortgage is locked in at a decent rate.

Your retirement / 401k?

I've lost some but have no doubt tings will recover nicely. I've never been a short-term investor.

Pretty much. Vacation this year will involve a Yurt in the forest of my home state rather than a beach in Mexico.

What income? :lol:

Sure, I'd be stupid not to. This current crisis has been a long time coming though and I'm surprised it took people this long to discover the emperor had no clothes. In my opinion, it may take up to three years before things are looking up again but probably no longer than that.