Websites that identify synth sounds in songs?

Guitarsoul34

• Members

I've realized that I have a big problem once I make my first workstation purchase: being an acoustic only piano guy, I really suck at being able to identify certain sound samples I hear and then trying to replicate them on a keyboard.

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player? Ideally with popular tunes from the classic rock, r+b/funk, blues, jazz canon...i.e:

-Led Zeppelin - No Quarter - Uses what type of keyboard synth to get that sound?

-Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - What synth plays the background arpeggios?

-Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger - What's that key sound?

-Stevie Wonder - Maybe Your Baby - What synth sound for his crunchy funk chords vs. what synth for the lead instrument doing riffs?

(I'm not looking to actually find out the above btw, just using those as examples of what I'm looking for). I'm aware that anyone can take the time to look up this stuff individually through Google, but was just wondering if there's a site out there that puts together this stuff in some kind of comprehensive way for we music nerds ;).

• Members

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player?

No, so you just have to ask here :).

-Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger - What's that key sound?

Wurlitzer 200(A).

-Stevie Wonder - Maybe Your Baby - What synth sound for his crunchy funk chords

Hohner D6 Clavinet.

vs. what synth for the lead instrument doing riffs?

This really depends but keeping the period in mind you can almost always say either Minimoog or ARP, depending on who sponsored him ;).

• Members

About the PF-synth, could be a prophet5 I guess....

A wiki-search came up with this:

Personnel

* David Gilmour - guitars,[11] [11], pedal steel guitar [11], Prophet-5 synthesizer [11]. vocals (refrain) [11]

* Nick Mason - drums[11]

* Roger Waters - vocals (verses) [11], bass guitar [11]

* Richard Wright - organ [11]

* Lee Ritenour - acoustic guitar [11]

* The New York Orchestra [11]

• Members

-Led Zeppelin - No Quarter - Uses what type of keyboard synth to get that sound?

"Jones used the VCS3 to create the underwater "wobble" effect on "No Quarter." He ran the audio signal of the Hohner piano through the filter, and modulated the filter with a sine-wave LFO. This made the filter rise and fall rapidly, creating a shifting tone not unlike a phaser, or Leslie speaker."

(source: John-Paul Jones keyboards site)

Happy christmas!:)

• Members

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player? Ideally with popular tunes from the classic rock, r+b/funk, blues, jazz canon...i.e:

I'm aware that anyone can take the time to look up this stuff individually through Google, but was just wondering if there's a site out there that puts together this stuff in some kind of comprehensive way for we music nerds
;)

Don't I wish!

I've spent countless hours trying to recreate sounds for a contemporary hard rock band I wish I'd have never joined.

Sounds like the nasally arpeggio background in Disturbed Stupify, hardcore synth sounds in Sevendust Ugly and other background sounds for bands like the Prom Kings.

I've been able to get close using Reason 4 but sound design is a world unto itself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the effect is more important than the keyboard on this track. It sounds like a phaser to me, with the LFO rate turned up high to get the tremolo/leslie sound. I don't think its just a leslie rotating speaker by itself because there is some audible filtering going on too. I'd agree with Tomkeen as far as a Rhodes being the keyboard though.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hey, My name is Brentyn and I stumbled upon this forum because I am in desperate search for a certain Synth and the topic question fits my inquiry perfectly! I've noticed that there are learned people here as far as synthetic instrumentation goes (Which is wicked far)

I'm searching for the synth that is at the very beginning and throughout the entire song of Mitch Murder's Race day. I have posted a link below.

I am in love with it.. It's simple but such an iconic sound for me.... I can't seem to find anything even close to it anywhere....If you can help me out I'd appreciate it greatly. thank you so much. it's the synth that sits on top of the very first kick drum and throughout the rest of the song, it almost sounds like a flute....?

I'm just now realizing this thread is almost 10 years old... 2008? God, the nostalgia could eat me alive.... I hope you guys are still posted! : )

Edited by Out_of_Pocket

• Members

That is a basic analog synth sound, its based on multiple sine waves through an envelop filter. You can get that sound as a preset in something like arturia's analog lab https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/analoglab/overview or many of those sounds are sampled in modern workstation like the Yamaha MOXF series. The other synth sound is based on a sawtooth wave and is apreggiated to the tempo. The same type sound can be found on many workstations too. In many synth heavy songs these weren't presets but were designed from scratch using filters, LFO's and Oscillators. There are synths that had a signature sounds like a oberhiem, jupiter and moog. Many modern digital synths have classic recreactions of these synths. But here is the rub, you can't get the exact sound of an Electronica guy like Mitch Murder because he creates these sounds. You can get darn close using your own ear and tweeking them your self. Unless your in the studio or he tells you your not going to get that exact sounds even on the same equipment. He most probably did it on a modular type synth. If you want to learn how different sounds are created here is an excellent resource: https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115835/http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

• Members
http://rossocorsarecords.com/2011/04/01/mitch-murder-profile/

Johan revealed to us that his tracks were largely produced with a step-based sequencer, a process known as tracking. He uses a program called Renoise with a secret caché of VSTs. Asked about modern production techniques, he says “i’ve used tracker based sequencers for about 15 years now, and have no intentions whatsoever of ever switching over to a piano roll based daw such as cubase or ableton.” You can see a video of the program in action:

[video=youtube;8dhWlmxkIqQ]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

"Everybody": BOSS DR-55 drum machine (to me it sounds like they ran it through an Eventide H910), Oberheim OB-X synthesizer

(source: https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/everything-from-everybody )

"Take Me (I Want You)": (probably) Oberheim DMX drum machine, Solina String Ensemble keyboard.

• Like 1