Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Websites that identify synth sounds in songs?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Websites that identify synth sounds in songs?

I've realized that I have a big problem once I make my first workstation purchase: being an acoustic only piano guy, I really suck at being able to identify certain sound samples I hear and then trying to replicate them on a keyboard.

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player?
    Ideally with popular tunes from the classic rock, r+b/funk, blues, jazz canon...i.e:

-Led Zeppelin - No Quarter - Uses what type of keyboard synth to get that sound?

-Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - What synth plays the background arpeggios?

-Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger - What's that key sound?

-Stevie Wonder - Maybe Your Baby - What synth sound for his crunchy funk chords vs. what synth for the lead instrument doing riffs?

(I'm not looking to actually find out the above btw, just using those as examples of what I'm looking for). I'm aware that anyone can take the time to look up this stuff individually through Google, but was just wondering if there's a site out there that puts together this stuff in some kind of comprehensive way for we music nerds .

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player?

No, so you just have to ask here .

-Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger - What's that key sound?

Wurlitzer 200(A).

-Stevie Wonder - Maybe Your Baby - What synth sound for his crunchy funk chords

Hohner D6 Clavinet.

vs. what synth for the lead instrument doing riffs?

This really depends but keeping the period in mind you can almost always say either Minimoog or ARP, depending on who sponsored him .
    "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
    Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

-Led Zeppelin - No Quarter - Uses what type of keyboard synth to get that sound?

Sounds like either a Wurlitzer or Rhodes MKII with heavy tremelo (or maybe through a leslie speaker??)

About the PF-synth, could be a prophet5 I guess....

Comment

About the PF-synth, could be a prophet5 I guess....

A wiki-search came up with this:

Personnel

* David Gilmour - guitars,[11] [11], pedal steel guitar [11], Prophet-5 synthesizer [11]. vocals (refrain) [11]
        * Nick Mason - drums[11]
        * Roger Waters - vocals (verses) [11], bass guitar [11]
        * Richard Wright - organ [11]
        * Lee Ritenour - acoustic guitar [11]
        * The New York Orchestra [11]

Comment

>>>>-Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - What synth plays the background arpeggios?<<<<

Synth?? Orchestra.

Comment

"Jones used the VCS3 to create the underwater "wobble" effect on "No Quarter." He ran the audio signal of the Hohner piano through the filter, and modulated the filter with a sine-wave LFO. This made the filter rise and fall rapidly, creating a shifting tone not unlike a phaser, or Leslie speaker."

(source: John-Paul Jones keyboards site)

Happy christmas!

Comment

Happy christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too! Have you ever considered writing all of this in a weblog or something? It's too bad VSE forgets all those threads with your answers .

Guitarsoul34: there's also http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
              "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
              Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

There actually *is* a website that identifies some famous sounds, this one.

Of course, not everything is captured.
                What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.
                Forbidden Star: home studio / melodic ambient / New Age / the deep zone
                Boney Fiend: the band, man / punk / garage / beer

Comment

Thanks for the replies and links guys!

Comment

Is there a website out there where you can do a search by band or song name and it'll give you the name of the specific sound/sample/synth used from that player? Ideally with popular tunes from the classic rock, r+b/funk, blues, jazz canon...i.e:

I'm aware that anyone can take the time to look up this stuff individually through Google, but was just wondering if there's a site out there that puts together this stuff in some kind of comprehensive way for we music nerds .

Don't I wish!

I've spent countless hours trying to recreate sounds for a contemporary hard rock band I wish I'd have never joined.

Sounds like the nasally arpeggio background in Disturbed Stupify, hardcore synth sounds in Sevendust Ugly and other background sounds for bands like the Prom Kings.

I've been able to get close using Reason 4 but sound design is a world unto itself!

Comment

All the sounds were done using Nords!

Comment

For the Pink Floyd gear and what was used by Richard Wright on the various albums, refer to this PDF file. It's pretty interesting.
                        Goofball's mood for today:

How perfectly **************************** delightful it all is, to be sure..." -- Charles Crumb (1942-1994)

Comment

I think the effect is more important than the keyboard on this track. It sounds like a phaser to me, with the LFO rate turned up high to get the tremolo/leslie sound. I don't think its just a leslie rotating speaker by itself because there is some audible filtering going on too. I'd agree with Tomkeen as far as a Rhodes being the keyboard though.
                          Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Comment

Electric Piano + Leslie on fast

Comment

I'd agree with Tomkeen as far as a Rhodes being the keyboard though.

+1

Comment

Working...
                              X