Yamaha motif keys (weighted vs. normal)

Konway

• Members

I can't test this on my own right now (no 8's in stock nearby) so I need some opinions from anyone who has played both, or at least tried the ES8 / XS8 - I'm assuming the hammer action is the same but I could be wrong. Also, are the keys on the 7 series XS and ES the same? I'm considering the following:

- Motif ES7

- Motif ES8

- Motif XS7

- no XS8 option due to price :(

Use: Mainly just for messing around making my own music and playing with beats I throw together in FL studio (think along the lines of ronald jenkees). I'll also probably be taking some piano classes, but I'm NOT a music major and if I really need a piano I can use one on campus.... it's just a pain in the ass because our campus is massive.

Side note: Also looking for advice on whether or not the XS is such a significant improvement over the ES that it's worth giving up the 12 keys and hammer action. I know for sure that I'm not capable of taking full advantage of these keyboards right now, but it's going to be a LONG time before I can upgrade so this one needs to last (probably 4+ years).

• Members

In one of Ronald Jenkees videos, he mentions his plan to change from the XS8 to XS7. That seems to be a better choice for his type of music. Unless you are planning on doing a lot of piano work, you may want to take a close look at the XS7.

• Members

All the Motif 8 boards have the same balanced, weighted action (Motif 8 Classic, ES8, XS8 along with S90 Classic and S90 ES). It is a sublime action.

The ES7 and XS7 actions are different. The ES7 (and all the synth-action Motifs from the ES all the way back to the original DX7) used Yamaha's FS action keyboard and it is nice and kind of a standard. For the XS6 and XS7, Yamaha introduced a new action, the FSX, that is a notch better than the FS action.

For what you describe, you will probably be ok with a Motif Classic or ES...quite a bargain on the used market.

• Members

The ES7 and XS7 actions are different. The ES7 (and all the synth-action Motifs from the ES all the way back to the original DX7) used Yamaha's FS action keyboard and it is nice and kind of a standard. For the XS6 and XS7, Yamaha introduced a new action, the FSX, that is a notch better than the FS action.

Thanks, that's definitely good to know. Now to find a store that has the ES7, ES8 and XS7 all in stock - if that's even possible :facepalm:

• Members

IMHO, you should only get a synth with weighted keys if you really have reasons to want/need weighted keys. For example, perhaps you already have a preference, or are using the keyboard to learn/practice music that will ultimately be played on a piano, or intend to learn the piano, etc.

FWIW, I've played the piano since I was six years old, and don't mind playing weighted keyboards when I am playing pianistic kinds of music with piano-type sounds. But having had tons of synths with non-weighted action over the years, it's what I prefer, and it actually seems weird to play synth type stuff or organ sounds with a weighted keyboard.

All that being said, people obviously get used to playing whatever they have.

• Members

FWIW, I've played the piano since I was six years old, and don't mind playing weighted keyboards when I am playing pianistic kinds of music with piano-type sounds. But having had tons of synths with non-weighted action over the years, it's what I prefer, and it actually seems weird to play synth type stuff or organ sounds with a weighted keyboard.

All that being said, people obviously get used to playing whatever they have.

haha yeah you pretty much nailed my thoughts on the matter... I just wish they made an 88 non-weighted keyboard, what's up with limiting it to 76 :facepalm:

Obviously I won't be playing like Rick Wakeman any time soon, but what he does in this video at 2:50 is definitely NOT possible on weighted keys :eek:

• Members

haha yeah you pretty much nailed my thoughts on the matter... I just wish they made an 88 non-weighted keyboard, what's up with limiting it to 76
:facepalm:

Obviously I won't be playing like Rick Wakeman any time soon, but what he does in
this video
at 2:50 is definitely NOT possible on weighted keys
:eek:

61 keys is about as much as you really need for non-piano stuff. 76 keys is great, but you really don't need 88 unweighted keys.

Seriously.

• Members

Thanks, that's definitely good to know. Now to find a store that has the ES7, ES8 and XS7 all in stock - if that's even possible
:facepalm:

The ES7 has the same action as the ES6, Motif 7&6, Triton Studio and Extreme 61&76, to name just a few. But if you can't locate one of those the action on the new Motif XS 6&7 is very close. You'll get the idea by just playing one of them.The older action is a little lighter because it doesn't have the little weights glued to the undersides of the keys.

Keep in mind that it's practically impossible to play pianistically on any of these. You will trigger adjacent keys if you are doing four and five note moving chords or one hand octave runs. That doesn't mean that you can't play piano parts on them though. I do on my ES7 all the time. But I have to play within their limitations.

• Members

All the Motif 8 boards have the same balanced, weighted action (Motif 8 Classic, ES8, XS8 along with S90 Classic and S90 ES). It is a sublime action.

For what you describe, you will probably be ok with a Motif Classic or ES...quite a bargain on the used market.

Excellent post, correct.

• Members

Yeah, I know you'd probably never need more than 76 for synth stuff... It's not necessarily that I need 88 keys -- just that it'd be nice to be able to practice classical pieces occasionally without having to walk to a practice room on campus.

Also, anyone know whether or not the keys feel heavy compared to average? The piano we have at home is a Baldwin baby grand and I can't stand it because it has the heaviest action of any piano I've ever played. I always liked the Yamaha pianos I've come across, and of course the Steinways, also most uprights seem to have pretty light action. But I've played a Yamaha P90 (link in case anyone knows it) and would say the action on those keys was pretty heavy too... my brother took it to school so I haven't touched it in more than a year though.

• Members

Yeah, I know you'd probably never need more than 76 for synth stuff... It's not necessarily that I
need
88 keys -- just that it'd be nice to be able to practice classical pieces occasionally without having to walk to a practice room on campus.

Sorry, elitist former piano student coming out:

YOU CAN'T PRACTICE PIANO PIECES, AT ALL, ON AN UNWEIGHTED BOARD.

This is all.

• Members

Sorry, elitist former piano student coming out:

YOU CAN'T PRACTICE PIANO PIECES, AT ALL, ON AN UNWEIGHTED BOARD.

This is all.

Haha yeah, I'm sure if you wanna get really technical you should be practicing on the piano you'll use to perform. If I were rich I'd probably just go out and get a Motif XS7, Motif XS8 and a $50,000 Steinway - but as a college student that's not an option at the moment :)

Still, with an unweighted keyboard it helps to just go through the motions even if you can't focus on how to perform it at professional standards :confused:

• Members

How is that? This is something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

Because when your hands are spread out playing like that, your fingers aren't parallel to the keys. If it's a synth action they will trigger adjacent keys by just brushing them.

• Members

Haha yeah, I'm sure if you wanna get
really
technical you should be practicing on the piano you'll use to perform. If I were rich I'd probably just go out and get a Motif XS7, Motif XS8 and a $50,000 Steinway - but as a college student that's not an option at the moment
:)

Still, with an unweighted keyboard it helps to just go through the motions even if you can't focus on how to perform it at professional standards
:confused:

Oh trust me, I get the plight of budgets :lol:

However, you should practice on a piano. Walk your ass to the piano room. :)

• Members

Oh trust me, I get the plight of budgets
:lol:

However, you should practice on a piano. Walk your ass to the piano room.
:)

Never! Well... maybe when the weather is nice, but I go to penn state (located in the middle of bumblefuck, PA) not the university of florida :cry:

• Members

I decided I can put up with walking a few blocks in the snow if I need to practice piano, so I bought an XS7 off ebay today -- now just hoping it doesn't arrive as 77 separate pieces :p

Thanks for the help deciding :thu:

Go Nittany!

Perfect season ruined by 1 loss to an unranked team, I feel embarrassed for the players :(

...then again we also lost the bowl game anyway.

• Members

I find this very interesting. I havent tried the action of the ES8 and the XS8 side by side, but I thought the action on the XS8 was a lot better. As a matter of fact the Fantom G's action impressed me alot as well. The action stood out to me on both of those boards compared to their previous versions.

Archived