Possible to connect a Roland MC-505 to Fruity Loops?

• Members

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-USB-Uno-1X1-MIDI-Interface-101962629-i1154079.gc

I'm using this cable to do it. My computer recognized the cable, but FL isn't showing any signs of recognizing the MC-505. I've never actually tried connected anything to FL before so I'm not sure if it's me doing somethin wrong or if it's the MC, since it's so old. I've been checkin the manual and been messin around for a few hours now. Could my sound card be an issue? It's also really old. The date of its drivers are 2001.

The "midi in" light on the USB cable is always lit, but sometimes blinking depending on the settings I change on the MC. The "midi out" light is always off.

• Members

Try this: connect the cable's MIDI out to the MC's MIDI in.

MIDI signals go
OUT
of the MC
IN
to the computer, so the labeling is correct - well, from a certain point of view.

The MC's manual mentioned doing that, but I thought it was just weird wording so I didn't bother trying it. Both lights on the USB cable are off now. I'll try some different setting combinations in FL and the MC to see if that fixes it.

FL's help manual mentions a button called "Rescan MIDI devices" which should be really useful, but for some reason I can't find it. They say it's on the midi settings menu which I'm at, but I see nothin of it...

• Members

MIDI is an older protocol. The convenience you have with USB MIDI devices - controller keyboards etc. - does not exist. In other words, it's only going to find your USB MIDI interface, but it won't have a clue that there's an MC-505 connected to it.

If you bought the MC-505 second-hand, the previous owner might've made changes in the MIDI settings. The 16 step-buttons on my MC-307 send MIDI note information; those on the 505 should do the same. If there aren't any patterns or patches you desperately want to keep, do a factory reset.

Try hooking up only the MC-505's MIDI output at first, so you can see that it's actually sending stuff.

• Members

Oh! I'm making progress here...

Well, I've rebooted my computer about a million times now. I've been installing/uninstalling my sound card/midi USB drivers. My sound card's drivers kept givin me some weird error, mentioning a previous installation so I was dealin with that for abit. Now the midi cable which I thought was fully recognized by the computer actually wasn't.

Being the first midi cable I've ever used, I was confused at which thing to install when I first bought it. I installed the proper version earlier then just now remembered to check for some new drivers. The new version is 4 years newer than the one it came with. I first tried uninstalling the previous version, and that too was giving me errors. So I installed the new version anyways and though it mentioned nothin about rebooting, I did anyways then when my computer started up, I get greeted with a message continuing the installation.

Now FL is definitely recognizing it on the MIDI menu. I'll mess around a little more....

EDIT: Boom. It's connected. The MC-505 will be my temp controller till I decide on a new keyboard. Now I wanna see if it's possible to get the patches out of the MC into FL....I'd really love to use the Industrial template.

• 5 months later...

Archived