Motif question...

• Members

My other band member wants to find a replacement for his XP30 because we're running low on patch storage.

We were considering a Motif for different sounds... since I already use a Triton Extreme... but some of his patches take almost 8 patches altogether in split and layer form.

I've read the manual for the Motif... and it says you can only use up to four parts in performance. Has anyone ever used Song mode for gigging? Where you can have up to 16 parts?

• Members

in song mode, the keyboard only transmit 1 channel at a time. im afraid, motif keyboard can only support 4-part performance, unlike korg's 8 part, and roland's 16-part. one option is to use XP30 performance mode to control motif. yeah sucky

• Members

im still very noob with motif xs, but im thinking this......

can the motif receive sysex dump from external midi device?

if yes, what u can do is, buy a unit like x5dr for cheaps. with the x5dr, u can setup 8part performance mode, and set each part to transmit midi out.

midi the motif to x5dr, and in turn x5dr midi out to back to motif.

so when u play the motif keyboard 1 channel, x5dr will receive it and be able to split/layer up to 8 parts back to motif. :facepalm:

• Members

oh, no it wont, i think

motif in song/mix mode can transmit channel 1, and x5dr will transmit to other 8 channels. i remember u can set each part of x5dr performance mode midi channel transmit.

but still sounds silly.

motif xs supports 8 elements per patch, and 4 patch per performance. so i guess, he could simulate an up-to-32-part performance mode

• Members

Has anyone ever used Song mode for gigging? Where you can have up to 16 parts?

Yeah I do. But it's so I can get smooth program changes. You can layer as many parts as you like in Mix - well up to 16 - but you must reload each bank which takes time.

If layering that many parts is important, you really should be looking at other options - either an external module or another brand. Like a Roland Fantom. :cool:

• Members

Performances are limited to 4 parts (voices) on the XS, but song mode allows up to 16 parts, with assignable midi channels. In other words, you can set up a mix in song or pattern mode with splits and layers and play them from the keyboard, just like in performance mode. In this mode you can also switch the keyboard's transmit channel instantly from the front panel, so you can switch patches instantly that way, or even hold a note in one part, then switch channels, and play another part while held notes continue to be held in the prior part (in the 1.10 and up firmware).

A voice has up to 8 elements, which can also be split or layered, velocity switched, rotated through, randomly chosen, or selected using the assignable buttons. Voices (and performances) are limited to 1 midi channel though. Multitimberal (multiple midi channels) is only available in song/pattern mode, but then you get 16 parts to play with. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... but our band is heavily considering a Yamaha ES6 to replace our XP30. I've read the manual of the ES6 as well as all the responses in this thread, and have concluded that in order to use the Motif ES6 for our type of music (which requires extensive splits and layers between two keyboards) we need to use Song Mode in order to set up a multitimbral setup live.

The basic setup we had before with the XP30 was a midi controller set up on Channel 2, and the XP30 on Channel 1. We utilized the performance mode (of Roland) to setup the mutitimbral voices (split and layered) between the XP30 and the midi controller. Each song we performed had its own dedicated Performance patch... so switching songs was a simple matter of clicking the "up" button to get to the next performance patch.

We need to be able to do this with the same amount of speed on the ES6.

My question is if this quick switch is possible with the ES6?

From the manual... it seems like we would use Song Mode... and then we would make dedicated "songs" for each song we perform. Each song would have voices assigned to each track... and each track can then be assigned note limits (and then assigned multiple tracks to one channel would create the splits and layers). I had a quick chance to play with an MO6, but I had no idea even how to quickly go from song to song. There's so many buttons on the right side... can someone explain to me how they would go about switching Songs quickly in a live setting?

Thanks in advance... and sorry... I'm so used to Roland's performance mode and Korg's Combi mode.

• Members

quicksilver, songmode == 16 tracks. 1 track == 1 Midi Channel

But Problem is , your keyboard can only control 1 channel in song mode.

So, song mode is not what you want.

Roland's performance and Korg's combi is equivalent to Yammy's Performance mode.

• Members

quicksilver, songmode == 16 tracks. 1 track == 1 Midi Channel

But Problem is , your keyboard can only control 1 channel in song mode.

So, song mode is not what you want.

Roland's performance and Korg's combi is equivalent to Yammy's Performance mode.

Hmmnn... but Yamaha's performance mode can only run on one channel... so we'd never be able to use a midi controller... and we'd be limited to only 4 parts.

In song mode... can't you set the tracks to different midi channels. So let's say... I have piano on Track 1... and strings on Track 2... and synth lead on Track 3... if both tracks 1 and 2 were set to midi channel 1(which is the channel that the Motif is on)... wouldn't that create a layer? And if I set Track 3 to midi channel 2, and our midi controller is set at 2, wouldn't the synth lead play on the midi controller?

• Members

I actually fell in love with the Yamaha AN1X. We actually owned two at one point... but the power supply connection on both became faulty. We were hoping to replace it one day with a Motif... with built-in PLG150ANs...

As for racks, we just kinda wanna have an all-in-one sound source for each keyboardist so we don't have to deal with connections... setup time.. etc...

At one point I had a Little Phatty, Triton Extreme, and MicroKorg... but now I just use a Triton Extreme because it wasn't worth the effort for live use.

Archived