Yamaha A3000 midi routing & programs problems

robber

• Members

Yamaha a3000 sampler v1

just got one of e bay . having some technical problems with midi routing and programs.how to use them. i all ready own/owned a few other samplers Akai's and Emus.

Basically i want to work out how i set midi channels for the programs ,with out all the other midi channels triggering? do i turn omni off as i do in my akai and emu sampler?.

i have look at the manual but i must be looking at the wood amongst the trees!

at thee moment i am using a rm1x to trigger it and just using only midi ch 16 to start with,but the drum patterns from ch 1,2 fire the a3000, i turned them of on the midi out on the rm1x and that sorted that. but i still use ch 10,11 for other synths and they still trigger sounds on the a3000.

have i got all this wrong?

should i be using sample banks and only use one program per track?

confused!

• Members

Omni has to be off if you don't want the A3000 to respond to all incoming MIDI messages (hence the name Omni). You need to set up a Performance that responds to a different MIDI channel for each part, and then load each desired program into that slot. Obviously, there are advantages to layering by having two slots set to the same MIDI channel, etc, but setting parts 1-16 to channels 1-16 should get you started.

• Members

hello and thanks everyone.

i have now sussed out the Yamaha function tree! basically you set all the midi channels , outs and fx etc to each sample , easy once you know.

now my problem is that when i try to import emu/akai zip disk samples the a3000 locks up freezing all buttons. which is strange because it was importing them no problem yesterday!!!

i did a factory re set- yesterday do you think this might be the cause??

i can still insert emu/akai-disk and format them into a3000. but as soon as i put a disk in to import it locks! how strange is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have to turn it off to get it to work...

i also tried changing the scsi id on sampler? no luck!

i have repeated this process a dozen times and with a dozen disks with the same outcome.

any one got any ideas...........................

• Members

just a thought i changed the memory for a max 128 ram just before all this happened!

the e bay seller from Germany guaranteed it would all work, but on further reading i see that some ram can cause problems . i am now going to remove the new ram replace the old and send back the ram.................i think this must be the problem!!!

as its the only thing i changed and forgot i did it!,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

after weeks of frustration i discovered that the Yamaha A3000 don't like the EMU bank & pre set format when saved to zip disk, but is happy to import individual samples that are not saved as pre sets???

hope this helps future readers with similar problems..

• Members

just a thought i changed the memory for a max 128 ram just before all this happened!

the e bay seller from Germany guaranteed it would all work, but on further reading i see that some ram can cause problems.

There is a Memory Test mode in the diagnostic pages.

Check out the FAQ for that.

Given the A3000 loading time (i.e. it's painfully slooooooow), 128MB are overkill IMHO unless you have the sampler powered 24/7.

You may find more easily compatible 16MB SIMM sticks than 32 or 64MB one, and 66MB total are more than enough in daily use, I'd say.

Archived