SE-1X

• Members

Looks to be something of an epic synth, but it really doesn't get much press on these boards. Anyone got one? I'd like to hear more of it's sonic pallet, and about your experiences with in in general. Looks like it would make a good alternative to a Voyager rack as a main go to mono synth.

It's got 4 full envelopes, totally killer

WHITEse1xnegreen.jpg

New one has added filter fuzz and sine wave...cool!

• Members

I've got an SE-1x Redeye sitting below an ATC-x. Very big sound and can squeal like a pig when you want it to. Very easy to dial in a sound and running across the preset "Hypnotoad" will make any Futurama fan chuckle. My biggest complaint is that some of the sub menus weren't very intuitive to find since I got mine without a manual(not that I crack the manuals anyway). Not a big deal once you figure it out. While I think it's a great synth I've also got a soft spot in my heart for the Voyager :facepalm:

• Members

Nice blog, but I couldn't find the SE-1X page. That link brought me to Nord lead 3...

BTW the macbeth Moroco looked pretty cool, do they still make those? I cna't find any info on that or the M3.

The Nord link is correct. It's just that I sampled the SE-1X into the Electro3 to make it polyphonic. But it still gives an idea of what the Studio Electronics unit sounds like.

• Members

Take two and call me in the morning.

Basically I really dig them- they sound great. Some of the sub functions are a little weird, and I have noticed that it sometimes difficult for the Se-1 to hold a "value" constant i.e. the number value will change on its own.

• Members

Highly recommended. If you buy used, you can get one pretty cheap. They don't seem to have the high resale value like Moog does, for some reason. At least, that seems to be the case from what I've seen on Ebay.

Right, looks like used is the way to go, I wonder if they could mod in those new features on an old unit? (filter fuzz and sine wave) I love sine waves in my bass pudding.

• Members

I had one and sold it to purchase a Voyager RME. The sound is good but I didn't think it was as good as the Voyager. I also have a problem with menu diving on a monsynth. I don't think that should be. Given how simple a monosynth is. An SH-101 is more my style and I'm waiting on the MAcbeth X-Factor.

• Members

I had one and sold it to purchase a Voyager RME. The sound is good but I didn't think it was as good as the Voyager. I also have a problem with menu diving on a monsynth. I don't think that should be. Given how simple a monosynth is. An SH-101 is more my style and I'm waiting on the MAcbeth X-Factor.

Macbeth_Xfactor_2.jpg

Whoa....

• Members

Highly recommended. If you buy used, you can get one pretty cheap. They don't seem to have the high resale value like Moog does, for some reason. At least, that seems to be the case from what I've seen on Ebay.

Well, they are only $1400-1500 new, the Voyager is twice as much.

You can easily get $800-900 for a SE1X in mint condition.

• Members

It kills me that the Voyager RME does not have have modulation ins and outs...I need another unit at some point and have a hard-on for Moog but this

Studio Electronics Se-1x see like a great choice too....

MuzikB how much menu diving is required?

• Members

It kills me that the Voyager RME does not have have modulation ins and outs...I need another unit at some point and have a hard-on for Moog but this

Studio Electronics Se-1x see like a great choice too....

MuzikB how much menu diving is required?

My guess is that everything that the Old School has on the front panel that the RME doesn't is within the menu's

Like the SE-1x, some of the more advanced features require getting in the menu's I don't remember how much but it was another turnoff for me so I sold it. The Old School is what appeals to me as those extra modulation functions are on the front panel and no menu diving on a monosynth. The only problem is the price.

I really hope Macbeth can sell the X-factor at the $1800 dollar range. This is the price I always felt the Old School should have been and part of the reason it doesn't seem to be a big seller.

• Members

Oh, right, well i guess I should have read it... thanks. That's a solid playable sound. For my style I'm more interested in hearing that far out stuff, EV PWM, LFO filter sweeps, funky wah's etc... Got anything like that?

What can you tell me about the Moroco and the M3?

I don't know about the M3. Moroco is 2 multimode filter , 4 LFO's, no envelope follower but can be triggered by MIDI, supposedly only limited amount was made, some info online says it's discrete, but I wouldn't know, nice convenient modulation inputs on the front.

• Members

My guess is that everything that the Old School has on the front panel that the RME doesn't is within the menu's

Yeah, it looks like setting modulation destinations would need to be done via menu.

but at a used price around 700 it's a pretty nice setup.

Considering the coolest thing you can get new for that price is a Synth II or a Neptune II, the Se-1x looks like a sweet deal.

• Members

Oh, and one purely subjective point: if you can, dont get the Nova versions. The knobs are nowhere near as nice as the standard SE1x (they pay for that silk screening somehow I guess). This is, of course, if aesthetics matter to you that much.

I'm not getting a new one. They're going on ebay for as low as 700. Now if only I could find an XS for that price I'd be set.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived