Alesis Andromeda A6 mix section

• Members

I'm trying to fix a semi-broken Andromeda and one of the things I've noticed is that in the mix section, the patches do not change; only the patch name in the second box changes but the sound doesn't. Make any sense? I thought that this was because I reset global and user memory (the status icon in the top right corner in the mix section will show what looks like an error symbol) so I thought the mixes got reset, but I'm being told that the mixes are preset. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm also battling some hardware issues with this unit so anything is possible but I know these things are typical for having bugs and issues and I've been through the service manual, groups, etc...

• Members

I think I get it...

In the mix window, at the bottom there is a soft button named "kbd" (number 5). Push the gray button underneath. Another window opens.

In the new window under number 4...there is the word "enable", and if you turn that it will switch keyboard control of the chosen patch to "enable" or "off" .

My bet is that the keyboard control is now set to off, so the sound will only play via midi, on the channel to which it is set.

If you adjust the keyboard ranges you can have splits and layers.

It's just a guess, though.

• Members

Strangely the mix section is working now... having left the unit on for a few days it suddenly decided to work the way it;s supposed to. My concern right now is that if I need to replace anything, Alesis is pretty bad about getting back to its customers for tech support and the parts available online are obscenely expensive and I really have no idea if I'd be replacing the right board. Everything seems to relate to the front panel being buggy but for all I know that may channel off the main pcb.

I'm finding it's an awesome synth but with all the bugs and hardware issues (some bad pots too) it's too new to not have good tech support or service.

• Members

Question now...

How in the world do you transmit a sysex patch to the A6? I found some cool patches I want to try, and I don't know how I got the first one to load in the user bank but it did... I have no idea how it worked because every step forward I can't get it going! I'm using Sysex Librarian for Mac OSX and like I said one already worked... what is the correct procedure for moving patches onto this thing?

• Members

Ummm... just noticed you're on a Mac... not sure if midiOX is compatible for you but my best guess is any sysex transmission program should work as I described pending proper connection & settings. - J.

• Members

Thanks guys... I do use Sysex Librarian already. I had one of the settings wrong on the panel
:)
Well it's hard to figure this stuff out and I don't have the huge dictionary-sized manual handy!

If you're like me, you skip RTFM'ing and pray for success, which eventually usually happens and it looks like it did for you! Let us know what your favorite A6 sounds are! - J.

Archived