Can i import patches of a dx 7 into a tg 77 ?

• Members

Not directly, the sysex is different. It was a long time ago, but I remember conversions programs for the PC and Atari at the time. I myself used one for the Atari (it could have been an TG77 editor with the conversion function included, can't remember) and made a choice of DX7 programs which i wanted to keep in the TG77 user memory. That's all I know.

• Members

You can find the conversion programs by Googling for them. They're a little different, some are better than others apparently. I'll try and see if I can find a link to a guy who has a good one, and knows his stuff.

And congrats on the absurd deal you got. The TG77 is one of the very few synths that have repeatedly compelled me to jump out of bed in the middle of the night to switch it on and 'make music' with it.

• Members

No

The 77 is a rompler, the DX7 a synth, the only thing in common is the brand.

I think you're thinking of the TG500. The TG77 has both ROM and the SY77/99 FM engine.

I converted some DX7 programs, but it was all manually. Basically, I set the Frequencies of the SY synth to be the same as the DX operator frequencies. Then I took the Rate/Level 1-4 envelopes, which had a range of 100 values (0-99) and mathmatically converted them to the SY's 64 values (0-63). So, if the Rate 1 of a DX patch was "19", you could figure out the SY rate 1 like this:

20/100 = X/64 (0 counts as a value, so add one.) Now we have 100X = 1280. Divide both sides by 100. X = 12.8 (round it up to 13), so Rate 1 on the SY is 13.

Same with the levels - DX had 100 values, while the SY had 128. If level 1 on the DX was 40, then it would be:

41/100 = X/128..........100X = 5248.............X = 52.48 (or 52) SY Level 1 = 52.

Okay, so it's kind of a pain, but if you don't have a program and you want to convert an oldie, but goodie. There you go.

• Members

I heard the main problem with used TG77's was that the screen goes quite dim...

That's correct; both my SY77 and the TG77 are having dim LCDs. There are new ones availble though, nice blue high contrast LCDs, but you

• Members

I think you're thinking of the TG500. The TG77 has both ROM and the SY77/99 FM engine.

I converted some DX7 programs, but it was all manually. Basically, I set the Frequencies of the SY synth to be the same as the DX operator frequencies. Then I took the Rate/Level 1-4 envelopes, which had a range of 100 values (0-99) and mathmatically converted them to the SY's 64 values (0-63). So, if the Rate 1 of a DX patch was "19", you could figure out the SY rate 1 like this:

20/100 = X/64 (0 counts as a value, so add one.) Now we have 100X = 1280. Divide both sides by 100. X = 12.8 (round it up to 13), so Rate 1 on the SY is 13.

Same with the levels - DX had 100 values, while the SY had 128. If level 1 on the DX was 40, then it would be:

41/100 = X/128..........100X = 5248.............X = 52.48 (or 52) SY Level 1 = 52.

Okay, so it's kind of a pain, but if you don't have a program and you want to convert an oldie, but goodie. There you go.

Mike, that's pretty much how I converted things long before there were DX to SY conversion programs, I started moving patches from my DX7IIFD over to the SY77 back in 1990. I found you could get them pretty close with the method you described, some additional tweaking after that usually got them better than they were on the DX7IIFD.

Clyde

• Members

No

The 77 is a rompler, the DX7 a synth, the only thing in common is the brand.

:freak::freak:

Check your info ChromaLord... the TG is a *hell* of a synth. The FM section is kind of DX7 on steroids, with multiple waves for every operator and user-definable feedbacks. The sample playback section is rather limited for today's standards... but you can FM the samples in the FM section!

About the display: After about 18 years, I changed the backlight on mine because it was becoming unreadable. I got the replacement from a firm in the uk, and it certainly helped but it never returned to its original brightess. Who makes the bright ones you're talking about, and - do they sell the backlight, or the whole display?

• Members

Mike, that's pretty much how I converted things long before there were DX to SY conversion programs, I started moving patches from my DX7IIFD over to the SY77 back in 1990. I found you could get them pretty close with the method you described, some additional tweaking after that usually got them better than they were on the DX7IIFD.

Clyde

At least close enough to go by ear, after that. Heh heh, the good old days! :poke:

• Members

Oh, so you can convert Dx7 sounds into a SY77?

Please tell me how. Programming one synth to sound like the other isn't converting, its called programming. BTW most romplers I'm aware of have "synthesizer" parameter sections in them.

• Members

People:

All confusion aside, the correct terminology are AWM and AFM when referring to the two component classes in the SY77 engine.

AFM is basically DX7 II as stated earlier, although they don't sound exactly the same because of differences in hardware, as well as more algorithms available in AFM.

AWM is Yamaha's PCM playback engine. Unlike the D50, PCM samples can have HP or LP filters in parallel or series mode, and can be potentially arranged into a 48dB/oct mode.

RCM allows the PCM section to interact with the FM section.

Archived