HELP IM CHOOSING A WORKSTATION!

• Members

Price range: 1500$-2000$

The three that i was looking at were the Roland Fantom X8, Korg M50, and the Yamaha MO8.

I chose these three specifically because they have 88 keys. That is a necessity!

Can anyone differentiate these from one another for me?

Whether through personal experience, stats, or hearsay.

Any other suggestions would be magnificent.

Thanks very much

• Members

Of those, only the X8 is an audio workstation with sampling and audio tracks. The equivalent Korg and Yamaha workstations would be the Triton Extreme 88 and the Motif ES8. The M50 is a cutdown version of the M3, and the MO8 is a cutdown version of the ES8, and there's nothing wrong with that, except that it's the workstation features that were cut out.

• Members

I don't know that I would suggest an Alesis Fusion. It might be fine to use as a VA, but I wonder if its safe for a "new user" to rely on a discontinued model for a workstation. Alesis wasn't able to get this to work, and although that might offend some Fusion owners, Alesis was never known for building high quality gear. I own an Alesis ION and it works fine, but the quality of it is what I would expect to pay for a budget synth, which is what it is.

If I were going to invest in a workstation, I would stick with one of the big three, Yamaha, Korg, or Roland. It you need sampling, you would have to get the higher end Yamaha series, the XS, which would set you back more than your budget if you want 88 keys.

You might want to consider the Korg M3, folks that have tried it with the expanded architecture really like the way it sounds now. They lowered the price on it and would be an excellent value if you like the sound. If you don't need a sampler, that would give you a lot more options. Don't forget to get a look at the Kurweil PC3x. The MAP is $2999, but you owe it to yourself to give it a listen.

Happy hunting,

Mike T.

• Members

The three that i was looking at were the Roland Fantom X8, Korg M50, and the Yamaha MO8.

I chose these three specifically because they have 88 keys. That is a necessity!

Thanks very much

Like I've wrote not too long ago... :)

I have Roland Fantom G7.

I did a LONG research before I got it. I was torn between Fantom G & Yamaha Motif XS. I LOVE many of the Motif XS' sounds (some great acoustic sounds), but in the end I've chose Fantom G because, even Fantom-G is Not perfect, it is THE POWERFUL WORKSTATION out there.

After about 6 months of working with it (performing on stage & at my homestudio) I am still very happy with my choice.

I've chose Fantom G because:

1) It is the closest workstation to DAW (writing & recording a whole song Midi & audio is easy).

2) Great sampler, with great connection of Phantom mic./Guitar/Line In etc.

3) "Skipback" function that record 40 seconds ALL THE TIME, so if I improvise and just really LOVE what just happen - I can "pick" it and start working with it on a new fresh song.

4) Great sounds overall (though, some more some less as any workstation & as a pianist, I must say that the pianos are so so...)

5) Wonderful abilities for Live performance (Live Mode) & seamless patch changing.

6) Great keyboard, wonderful screen, great pads, sliders & knobs.

7) Interesting & powerful ARX CARDS potential.

8) Good patch samples & powerful synthesis options.

9) Amazing potential overall, that I am sure will get better and better.

:

# Over 600 new rhythm patterns

# 14 new rhythm kits

# Over 100 new chord memories

# 96 new RPS phrases

# New edits of the most popular arpeggio phrases.

Check RolandClan forum, Dan Krisher from Roland MANY FG video guides on YouTube & JesseJ Videos.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy! :)

SpyBar

• Members

Thanks very much

I recommend the Fantom X8 out of the choices you specify but as xmlguy states, the M50 and MO8 are inferior models. It all depends what sort of sounds you like. I would probably veer toward a Yamaha Motif cos I like acoustic sounds. You might also want to check out the Kurzweil PC models.

Archived