Why Muse Receptor?

swanusa

• Members

I was looking at this keenly. If I had a Macbook and a good hard drive with the same software on it that Receptor has, wouldn't it be better and easier to carry? Just trying to understand the advantage of having Muse Receptor, if there are any.

• Members

I'm no expert with the Receptor, but it has two advantages I'm aware of. First, it can run without a computer when you play live. The patches can be controlled from the front panel and - theoretically - it's more stable and less fragile than a laptop and interface in that environment.

Secondly, it can be used as a stand alone plug in host with your DAW so you can save processing power when you're using a lot of plug-ins. It uses an ethernet connection to pass data back and forth at super-speed between the unit and the computer and they show up in your DAW like regular plug ins.

I've used one and it's cool. The plug ins show up in my DP projects which means it is a seamless addition to my DAW. It holds a ton of plug ins and they load very quickly and sound great. But I'm still old-school and prefer to have real circuits and keys to play with because they never get obsolete. That's the hardest part for me to get used to with plug-ins and it's why I haven't bought a host like the Receptor. The plug-ins are just software and can be lost as OS software is upgraded or hardware changes. Call me Grandpa, just don't call me on Sunday.

• Members

Well for a bit of spam, Im intending on selling my Muse Receptor TWR. It came with the IK Multimedia sample series. Some very cool stuff. Ive found myself moving away from the softsynth format and going back to hardware. If anyones interested Im letting the Receptor go for $1500, and including a Samsung Syncmaster 920nw 19" monitor.

Archived