Some questions about the Kurzweil PC3x... I'm close to buying now...

yeloop

• Members

Hey Guys,

Just a few questions about the Kurzweil PC3x... I'm about to buy one as a replacement for my Yamaha S90...

I have played the Kurzweil and do like what I'm hearing, however there are some things I forgot to check on...

First, does it have sympathetic resonance when playing the grand piano sounds?

Second, I have read that there are three sampling levels but 14 different layers in some of the Kurzweil grand pianos... does this mean that while the original instrument was only sampled at 3 velocity levels, Kurzweil have created 14 different layers from those levels, which trigger at particular velocity input ranges?

Third... are the piano samples in the Kurzweil full 88 key samples (like the Roland RD700GX)?

Fourth, does the PC3x allow half-level sustain (like the S90ES)?

Last, what about that action... has anyone had any issues with it breaking or failing? It doesn't seem quite as tough as the S90's, but I'd love to hear people's experiences....

I'm looking forward to deciding between the S90ES and the PC3x, soon hopefully, so I can get back into recording with my new machine!

Thanks heaps guys,

Mike

• Members

It has sympathetic resonances, the Pitcher FX is creating them.

Layers are used extensively and they add a level of realism to velocity and stuff like that, yes.

About third, I don't know really. I think they aren't, but Kurzweil's proprietary ASICs do wonders.

No half-pedalling. By words of Dave Weiser:

Kudos to the marketing department at one of the Big Three for convincing people that they need this feature!! In all my years of playing a real piano, before, during and after music school, I was never called upon to use half-pedaling.

My own snarky attitude aside, we are currently looking into this feature for future products.

Last, action is brilliant. It's not as heavy as on RD700x, it is well suited for dynamic piano playing and faster synth stuff.

• Members

It has sympathetic resonances, the Pitcher FX is creating them.

Layers are used extensively and they add a level of realism to velocity and stuff like that, yes.

About third, I don't know really. I think they aren't, but Kurzweil's proprietary ASICs do wonders.

No half-pedalling. By words of Dave Weiser:

Last, action is brilliant. It's not as heavy as on RD700x, it is well suited for dynamic piano playing and faster synth stuff.

Ha ha! The quote from Dave Weiser brought a smile to my face, as I thought to myself "he's totally right... when have I ever used half-pedaling in my life?!"...

Thanks for the quick answers, guys!

Mike

• Members

The piano is not sampled for all keys. Regarding Kurzweil's proprietary ASICs. They don't do any wonders. They calculate. It's just another marketing from Kurzweil, just like the one from the "big three" about how you need half pedaling.

• Members

Last, what about that action... has anyone had any issues with it breaking or failing? It doesn't seem quite as tough as the S90's, but I'd love to hear people's experiences....

I'm looking forward to deciding between the S90ES and the PC3x, soon hopefully, so I can get back into recording with my new machine!

Thanks heaps guys,

Mike

yeloop,

I own both. The action on the PC3x is not as heavy or firm as the S90ES. I have had no issues with breaking or failing in over a year of gigging use. While both have electronic adjustment, the PC3x is better suited if you will be using multiple sounds in a gigging enviornment. Also, IMHO, the PC3x piano sounds seem to cut through the mix better than the Yammy. The orchestral sounds on the Kurz are superior. The Yammy does better than the Kurz on acoustic guitar. And the organ on the PC3x is much closer to a dedicated clone than the S90ES.

If your primary need is Piano in a non-band situation I think you would like the Yammy better. If you are in a gigging band situation where you are required to be more than just a piano player, the Kurz is a better bet. The S90ES weighs a few pounds less than the PC3x, but it has a bigger footprint. This is important during transport, setup, and breakdown. My S90ES stays at home in the studio. The PC3x is what I gig with.

The PC3x is more expensive. There are rumors that the S90ES will soon be replaced, sometime this summer, by an S90XS or S90EX. So if you chose the Yammy option, you will save some money, but it may not be the latest and greatest by the end of the year. That may or may not be an issue with you. The Kurz customer support is second to none, and they have provided multiple downloadable upgrades since the product was introduced. Again, this may or may not be important to you.

Good luck.

Rick

• Members

Regarding Kurzweil's proprietary ASICs. They don't do any wonders. They calculate.

Yes, with superior algorithms to any others out there. I've yet to hear a synth which sounds so fat and warm, but it's digital in nature, and has such clear and punchy output.

• Members

Both are great boards, I do not think you will go wrong with either, I have a S90es and am very happy with it in my studio, I have been toying with the PC3 - 76 for gigs as I have had extensive experience with the PC2 series so I am confident either will work for you.

Kurzweil IMO has the best piano samples out there if that is the primary purpose.

• Members

The best advice I can give is to make sure you know what is most important in your choice. Each keyboard has strengths and weaknesses. Once you know your criteria, I'm sure you'll be able to narrow the choices and find the right one for YOU.

Archived