Korg M3 v.s. M50

niacin2.0

• Members

Just returned from a half hour playing both of these. Now I thought they had the same soundset. The 4th or 5th patch on each is a Wurli. The one on the M3 I played was called "Tremolo"-something and was stunning. The one on the M50 was called something like "Pure Wurli" and was entirely forgettable. I couldn't find the "Tremolo" wurli patch in the M50 soundset. The remaining top ten were the same on each board. So is this a mater of the OS in the M50 not being up to date? or is the Tremolo wurli patch from the Vintage Keys soundset (I don't think this is the case as those sounds would go into the user banks, right?). I had a look at Korg's website and it says they have the same 256mb internal rom so i'm a little confused.

Any help appreciated. I came away thinking that I'd found some nice pianos and rhodes and a stunning wurli in the M3 but not sure they are all in the M50 (actually considering the M50-88).

• Members

The M3 and M50 have the exact same 256MB sample set. But the M50 doesn't have as many available patches/banks as the M3 so they cut patches here and there.

BUT

You can load any M3 patch on the M50. I have both and do it all the time. So you can download the M3 .pcg file and load the progs into the M3...

-Mc

• Members

The M3 has sample RAM and Sample RAM expansion, so Korg have been able to use that capacity to add 3 new free sound banks. To get the most out of them it is best to get an M3 with the sample expansion RAM (if you went for the M3 that is). Worth checking out as you may find stuff in the free expansion that you really like that you can not run on the M50.

The M50 does have dual poly arps that the M3 does not. M3 has KARMA, but to get the most out of KARMA it is worth getting the software to adjust it in more detail (some people that want basic arp's can not get them in KARMA as standard). The same software will give KARMA to the M50 but it would need a laptop connected to run it. KARMA has a bigger learning curve so the M50 may suit those that want a quick simple life if ARP's are part of your music making.

:wave:

• Members

thanks guys. The EXB additional sounds are apparently brass and winds and a grand piano sample, none of which particularly interest me. Neither does Karma. Arps are of (limited) interest. Good to know I can get all the sounds in the M50. Now I have to find an M50-88 or one of Korg's digital pianos to check the weighted action for myself after having read good things about it.

Cheers.

• Members

Not to hijack, but do these workstation work quite well as midi controllers for the computer also?

I'm also considering the m50, since I would like it to work independently without connecting it to a computer (not top priority). But I would also like the ability to use software like cubase or reason with the keyboard with the different sounding VSTs(East West/Vienna Library...etc). Otherwise, I was pretty set on going for the Novation SL instead.

Thanks

• Members

The M50 uses a "less expensive" keybed. But I actually like it. It's VERY fast and easy to get used to. Other than that, the other differences are listed above. With one important exception. The M3 takes a couple minutes to load/start up when first powering up. The M50 takes about 4 seconds.

Owning both, I see the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The M50 is a fantastic workstation...

-Mc

• Members

thanks guys. The EXB additional sounds are apparently brass and winds and a grand piano sample, none of which particularly interest me. Neither does Karma. Arps are of (limited) interest. Good to know I can get all the sounds in the M50. Now I have to find an M50-88 or one of Korg's digital pianos to check the weighted action for myself after having read good things about it.

Cheers.

More notes:

The M50 has no after touch on the keyboard.

Nothing to stop Korg doing more sound banks (free or otherwise) for the M3

Korg did some impressive tweaks to the sequencer (well over due) on the M3

I assume Korg can update the M50 to some of the new sequencer functions in future. May not be of interest to you in any case.

Good luck with your decision.

• Members

So the M3 and M50 sound engines are the same? And the difference being less features on the M50 to make a lower cost?

The M50 has no physical expansions and no ROM expansions, but you can load new patches (setting for sounds).

The M50 sound engine is identical in the sense it uses the same ROM and coding to produce the sounds, even the Vocoda effect is present in the M50 but with no audio in you can only vocod the waves in the ROM sound set not your own vioce or other audio input.

They have also saved costs on the M50 by having a gray scale screen, no radius expansion, less physcal controls and a fixed and more plasticy housing, in addition to what has been discussed.

I think the M50 is great for those that do not need the other stuff. As McHale points out it boots faster which is useful for some that want a quick and light unit to set up fast.

• Members

Not to hijack, but do these workstation work quite well as midi controllers for the computer also?

I'm also considering the m50, since I would like it to work independently without connecting it to a computer (not top priority). But I would also like the ability to use software like cubase or reason with the keyboard with the different sounding VSTs(East West/Vienna Library...etc). Otherwise, I was pretty set on going for the Novation SL instead.

Thanks

In the adds for the M50 it is a selling point and they have some common templates. I would suggest you post the question on the Korg user forum as it is also worth finding out if someone has actually used the same software with the M50 so you can be sure. Assuming no one can answer on this forum.

• Members

Thanks

That all depends on what software you have. I have an SL and use Logic. You could use any controller keyboard to control your computer. But given the choice to control softsynths and all my hardware synths, I'll choose the SL everytime. If you want the rompler sounds, get an M3 or M50, but if you need an SL to control gear, get the SL. Everyone needs a good controller and this actually controls with knobs/faders and it's Automap. Novation SL mk2 just released btw.

I think the M3 is light years ahead of the M50. Karma does a lot and those pads are great to have. But if you're going for a rompler the M50 might be all you need.

• Members

Ah, thanks for all the replies. It's been very helpful.

That all depends on what software you have. I have an SL and use Logic. You could use any controller keyboard to control your computer. But given the choice to control softsynths and all my hardware synths, I'll choose the SL everytime. If you want the rompler sounds, get an M3 or M50, but if you need an SL to control gear, get the SL. Everyone needs a good controller and this actually controls with knobs/faders and it's Automap. Novation SL mk2 just released btw.

I think the M3 is light years ahead of the M50. Karma does a lot and those pads are great to have. But if you're going for a rompler the M50 might be all you need.

The SL mark II's price is starting to creep up to the basic workstation price and there doesn't seem to be too much difference from the mkI.

Just curious, in what way do you find the M3 light years ahead of the M50?

I was looking at the M50-88, but it's pretty much the same price as the M3-61. As a piano player, the 88-key with the weighted action sounds really good to me, but if the M3 has something that makes it worth it, I may get the M3-61 instead.

The aftertouch is one thing I would like, but not something that would get me to give up the 88keys, and karma can be used as software add-on for the M50). So is there anything else I should look into?

Thanks

• Members

I was also deciding between the M3-61 and the M50-88, and ultimately went with the M50-88. I have not regretted it for one moment. I, too, am a piano player, so the 88 weighted keys were important to me. And you should note that the M50-88 keybed is NOT "more plasticy" than the M3. In fact, it has the same high-end RH3 keyboard as the M3-88 (better even than the RH2 on the Oasys!).

Sampling was not important to me (better done on computer anyway). And while KARMA is a fun tool, I did not think it would be very helpful for my own songwriting (and if I ever change my mind, I can always pick up the software version). One thing I DID miss was the Radias expansion option, but that can also be taken care of by adding a relatively inexpensive VA keyboard or module to your setup. I went for the Blofeld, and I'm now pretty sure that my M50 + Blofeld combination gives me at least as wide a sonic palette as the M3 + Radias. And for less money. And with 88 weighted keys. And, if you can just overlook the external power supply (which does, I must admit, scream "toy"), the M50 looks way cooler than the M3!

Good luck with the decision. Truth is, you probably can't go wrong either way...

• Members

The M3 is not light years ahead - in fact, it's older technically. If you're a piano player, aftertouch is a bonus but not one you will miss. I play mainly synths/organs/EP's, Pianos, etc and I don't miss aftertouch. Every synth I have has it but the M50 and I don't miss it at all.

Personally, I'd get the M50-88 over the M3-61 - ESPECIALLY if I was mainly a piano player. The M50-88 keybed is awesome (same on one the M3) and the sounds are the same as the M3.

-Mc

• Members

Thanks

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2763714/korg_m50_using_external_control_mode_in_the_studio_with_korg/

• Members

Thanks McHale and CfNornena. I'm fairly set on the M50-88 now.

Final clarification, in
, what did they mean by no USB audio?

Thanks

The M50 cannot record (or sample) or play back audio.

The latest keyboards and digital pianos from Roland (since the FP4/7) allow you to plug in a usb stick with audio (.wav/.mp3) files on it and assign the keys to play these files directly from the usb drive without loading them into RAM. I think the soon to be released Yamaha S90XS may also have this function.

• Members

Found some clips a guy of a guy on youtube playing the M50 in a variety of different styles, so you can really hear the variety (and quality, imo!) of sounds the M50 has to offer. Am posting five, but there are about 10-15 more on the "more from..." youtube side panel showcasing what the board has to offer:

Acoustic piano/classical-new age:

Clavinet-funk):

Prog-rock keys-elec. guitar:

Drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXO4f4-tXPw&feature=channel

Rhodes/Wurlies:

• Members

Thanks for all the help...it's always hard making decisions when you're limited in funds and what not. Just read about the PC3LE and I'm very very curious about it, although it's not out in retail channels yet.

Curiously, Kurzweil sells their keyboards cheaper in Canada than in USA....usually it's the other way around.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

These comments are from way back. I have both the M-50 and the M-300. From what I can hear. the M-50 has better quality sounds. They may each have the same architecture but the M-50 may have better overall effects. I am both disappointed and happy that the M-50 has great sounds. A Youtube commenter also stated that the M1 is better sounding then the M-3. He went on to say that he brought the M1 over to a friends house who had the M-3 and they all were surprised to hear that the M1 just sounded better.

Archived