STUPID question: how long do you keep your boxes?

McHale

• Members

So I'm cleaning house and I haven't decided how long to keep the boxes that gear comes in. I've bought a LITTLE too much large gear recently and the boxes are taking too much real estate.

So...

How long do *YOU* keep your boxes that synths, PAs, effects, whatever come in? AND WHY?

-Mc

• Members

I keep them until the gear goes on ebay..... or dies. Even if you don't want to sell the item, you never know if it might need to go somewhere to be serviced. The original packaging is the best bet to keep it safe on its journey.

Usually this is an attractive selling point if you ever want to put it on ebay. Most folks know if you were careful enough to keep the packaging you probably also took good care of the synth. It instills buyer confidence and an added sense of security.

• Members

I keep boxes for virtually all my non-trivial music gear. There are very very few things I own that stand no chance of ever being sold. Having the original box makes it easier to sell (buyers like knowing that you kept everything), and cheaper to ship since you don't have to pay for new packaging materials. Also, in these economic times, you never know when you might have to move. I store the boxes in the attic.

D7

• Members

I'd think the only reason to keep a box is if you're thinking of selling something not locally and would like the convenience of having the original to ship in ...

I think I've purged just about all my original boxes except for my Yamaha HS-80ms monitors that I purchased less than a year ago ...

Although they might go in the next great purge, monitor boxes aren't bad to keep around as protection in the rare event you move studio monitors ...

Personally, I don't think people really care about whether an item is in the original box ... the actual condition I'd think is the only thing that matters ...

Unlike others, I've only sold a few pieces of gear over the years ... still have most ... and I don't think any of the used gear I've ever bought came in original boxes ... (I just insist it's packed correctly ... and didn't have any problems with very well-packed my V-Synth, Jupiter-6, Juno-106, Electribe EMX that arrived via post ... )

• Members

Personally, I don't think people really care about whether an item is in the original box ... the actual condition I'd think is the only thing that matters ...

Man, I've gotten so many queries from prospective buyers on whether I have the original boxes, its not even funny. (These are all Internet transactions BTW. Local transactions, I agree with you.) It gives them more confidence that its going to be packed correctly and not stuffed into too small a box with newspaper as a packing material.

D7

• Members

I don't sell used gear. And the authorized service center is a "drive to", not a "ship to" place. When you're past your money back return period, what's the use (assuming the two points above)?

For example, the Korg Radias box is just about large enough to put a Smart car in it! It won't even fit in my attic.

-Mc

• Members

Man, I've gotten so many queries from prospective buyers on whether I have the original boxes, its not even funny. (These are all Internet transactions BTW. Local transactions, I agree with you.) It gives them more confidence that its going to be packed correctly and not stuffed into too small a box with newspaper as a packing material.

D7

But does that have any effect on the price or torpedo the deal ... ???

• Members

If you want to keep boxes, try taking all the packing material out of all the ones you have (taping together/marking pieces that came together), put all those in a couple of trash bags, then collapse all the boxes.

They'll take up way less space that way. :thu:

dB

• Members

But does that have any effect on the price or torpedo the deal ... ???

Well, price yes, because it can be part of the whole "as new" condition thing (helps in avoiding price erosion during negotiations), which a lot of my gear is. As far as killing the deal, I don't know because I have the boxes. But when something so easy to do makes the deal go faster, smoother, and almost certainly sells mine ahead of the other guys who have the same thing up for sale, it would be foolish for me not to do it. Of course I have the room to store the boxes though.

Its like keeping the service receipts for a car. You don't have to do it, but its so easy and it genuinely helps when you sell.

D7

• Members

My side of the garage, in front of where I park, is jammed with eight different guitar boxes, the big ass K2500XS box, the much smaller CS6x box and the box from some amp or other. My music room closet is jammed with the boxes for the GNX4, the Echo Layla, some Tascam stuff and a bunch of other miscellaneous boxes.

My wife think it's a fire trap and I should recycle them all. Realistically, I'm probably never going to sell any of this stuff off, so I should recycle the boxes. I feel compelled to keep them around, however.

It's a disease.

• Members

All my gear boxes are up in the attic. There's plenty of room up there, so it doesn't matter. And if we move/I sell a piece/ship a piece, I have the box and packing materials.

I even have the original boxes for my Microkorg and my TX802. I don't know if I have the box my D-550 came in, but it wasn't an original.

• Members

I keep my boxes in case they need to be shipped, either due to repair or for sale.

I have the boxes for over half of my gear. The other half are missing boxes now mainly because it was gear I bought when I had no room to keep boxes.

I think my oldest gear box is for my S-760.

• Members

perhaps i am in the minority here, but i have never kept any of my boxes.

of course, i rarely buy 'new' anymore, but nonetheless i've had a few that i had no qualms about throwing away. i guess i just never saw the point.

ya'll are so responsible with your forward thinking. me, when i get a new piece, i just yell {censored} THIS IS AWESOME I'M NEVER GOING TO SELL THIS and immediately throw the box in the trash. i get excited over most anything i purchase, though.

i did however manage to acquire a microkorg box... i have no idea how. i have never and will never own a microkorg, but it amused me to own it so i have kept the sleeve part for a long time now.

• Members

Consider the cost of the space you use to store them. You bought that space or are probably paying rent on it. How much does that space cost you and is it more or less than the value--to you--of the boxes. I have a barn, but even then I don't keep every box because they're mostly not worth the nuisance.

• Members

I try and keep the boxes, if possible, but as someone else suggested, I normally flat-pack them if its possible.

I actually found the original box for my old Korg MS-10 up in the loft (attick to you guys) the other day. Strangley, it was full of old books. For a moment i'd hoped it might contain my old EDP Wasp that is still lost up there somewhere.

Grrr... Ill find that little b*gger some day.

• Members

This reminds me, I should head up to the attic for a trip down memory lane. I still have boxes from the 90's up there. We don't use that space for anything else, so it's no big deal. Should make for a heck of a bonfire, if the house ever goes up! :facepalm:

• Members

I used to keep all original boxes, but after running out of space, I normally only keep them for the duration of the warranty. For some items (like microphones without dedicated cases, soundcards) I keep the original boxes longer.

Archived