Korg Electribe EMX-1

• Members

korg_emx1.jpg

Has anyone owned/tried one before? I'm gassing for one at the minute. I need something that can make simple beats easily and do a wide range of synth sounds (including ambient stuff). Will this unit hit those sounds?

How easy is it to control what notes you make? Is it more difficult than a keyboard synth where you can hit the keys? And what is the arpeggiator like? Does it only do simple major/minor arps or does it do major 7ths, minor 7ths, dominant 7ths etc?

• Members

Sounds are relatively wide ranging, though the modulation architecture is limited (i.e. it won't replace a dedicated VA or ROMpler). Simple beats and ambient stuff is very achievable. Very easy to control the notes, but not really as pleasant or useful as a real keyboard. Buy it used, keep it for a couple months and sell it if you don't like it, but you probably will so buy three.

• Members

• Members

• Members

A lot of the stuff on youtube is just dance/trance/electro stuff, are there sounds in there that will mix with guitar driven music? (think "take a bow" by Muse for example)

And I can't find much info on the arpeggiator. Does it just go up in single notes or can you make it go up in major arps, minor 7th arps, dominant 7th arps etc?

• Members

Check out Denkitribe on youtube. He does some pretty cool stuff with them. As for the arpegiator, its pretty cool. You can have no idea what your doing and sound really good. You set what scale you want to play, and then rub your finger on the ribbon. The notes of the scale will play when you touch it, up and down changes the notes. You can solo really well with it. Not sure if it has any real applications besides just being fun to fool around with.

• Members

I need something that can make simple beats easily and do a wide range of synth sounds (including ambient stuff). Will this unit hit those sounds?

How easy is it to control what notes you make? Is it more difficult than a keyboard synth where you can hit the keys? And what is the arpeggiator like? Does it only do simple major/minor arps or does it do major 7ths, minor 7ths, dominant 7ths etc?

I had one for quite some time and really liked it. :) Very easy to create drum patterns, since it is based around the XOX concept. I though that the bass and lead sounds I created were pretty nice. I liked the unit for making some 'weirder' type sounds. It has a few things like FM and the like to make odd noises if you're so inclined. Just be aware that the synth parts are monophonic meaning you can't play chords with one synth voice. There *is* a chord 'oscillator', but that will only play triads though. :( However, you can choose what inversions they are. You will notice on the demos that any 'chords' you hear are split between 2-3 voices.

As mentioned, the little keyboard there is difficult to use and someone explained the arp feature pretty well. You really have to use it to understand. :) I've used it for crazy leads and some melody lines. It's definitely cool, but I wouldn't consider it 'traditional' as far as arpegiators go.

Overall, if you're hankerin' for one, I don't think it will disappoint. Actually all the electribes are pretty cool in my book. :)

• Members

No. no one on earth has ever owned one. Those that tried to acquire it were sucked into a void of nothingness never to be heard from again. Not even google can find them...

Sorry to be snarky, but yeah...the EMX/ESX seems to come up about twice a month and I am tired of extolling the virtues of these lovely boxes AGAIN.

Yeah, they are good. Buy one. If you dont like it, sell it and get something else.

Archived