Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look at what my son found in a closet this month

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Look at what my son found in a closet this month

    Welcome back my old friend.



    30 years ago, I bought this synth. It was my first real synth.

    I got hooked on the string pad sound. Since then, I lost it.
    Hurricane Katrina, I moved around.

    Over the years, I bought a few K1 modules to keep the string pad
    patch sound in my tunes.

    Now voila, back at the old homestead, my son drags the original out of a closet. That tape on the right is so old, I can't peel it off.

    It was a miracle he found it. It was a second miracle it lit up and the battery was still good.

    Welcome home old pal. It's back in my set-up.
    Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM.
    He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

  • #2
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

    Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

    Comment


    • #3
      Some of my better music was composed on that synth.

      It's still the best string pad for I've ever heard - at least for my stuff.

      Back in the day, I was a younger acoustic guitarist.

      That synth allowed me to compose and orchestrate like later-Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, Moody Blues or Mancini/Morricone/Rota/Weil.

      That early-digital string cloud always hovered exactly right.
      Not realistic, but suggestive, at times haunting.

      Realistic instruments really can't touch it.
      Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM.
      He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

      Comment


      • #4
        Awesome! It’s always nice to see an old friend again.

        Have you tried a little Goof-Off on the tape? Check on an unexposed area of the paint first to make sure it won’t come off, but if it is safe to use with the paint, Goof-Off, a rag and a bit of elbow grease should take the tape and residue right off.
        **********

        "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

        "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

        "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

        Comment


        • #5
          A hair dryer warming up the tape will loosen the adhesive. Then any solvent will work to get the residue off. Even a small amount of WD 40 will work just don't let it drip inside the board. Its what I use to take factory stickers off motorcycle gas tanks.
          By Law they have to put those stupid safety stickers on the gas tanks. It works on keyboard stickers too.

          Comment


          • #6
            That's really cool to see something from long ago.
            "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

            Comment


            • #7
              I remember having a Kawai digital keyboard I bought at the "specialty department store" back in '91/92. At the time midi was a new thing for me and I had a lot of fun with it. It's been long gone for years and I couldn't possibly remember what model it was, more consumer than professional but I'll bet it had some similar sounds.

              Currently I have a Kawai CE220 console style digital piano that I've thoroughly enjoyed in the front room. I just recently posted it for sale however and I believe a guy is coming to look at it tonight. As much as I love this keyboard it simply can't compete with the 1920 Steinway Model O that belongs to my wife and is also in the front room!
              Last edited by ggm1960; 02-27-2019, 08:44 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ggm1960 View Post
                I remember having a Kawai digital keyboard I bought at the "specialty department store" back in '91/92. At the time midi was a new thing for me and I had a lot of fun with it. It's been long gone for years and I couldn't possibly remember what model it was, more consumer than professional but I'll bet it had some similar sounds.

                Currently I have a Kawai CE220 console style digital piano that I've thoroughly enjoyed in the front room. I just recently posted it for sale however and I believe a guy is coming to look at it tonight. As much as I love this keyboard it simply can't compete with the 1920 Steinway Model O that belongs to my wife and is also in the front room!
                If it was a synth, the models available in 1991 were the K1, K3 & K4. They were serious synths actually. Some are still used in studios today.

                There were also personal keyboards - the FS series, similar to the lower-end of the Yamaha PS series keyboards today.

                I don't read Japanese, but here's a 1991 catalog.

                And a 1993 catalog.


                Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 02-27-2019, 10:23 AM.
                He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post

                  There were also personal keyboards - the FS series, similar to the lower-end of the Yamaha PS series keyboards today.

                  I don't read Japanese, but here's a 1991 catalog.

                  And a 1993 catalog.

                  That's real cool and brings back some fun memories. There's no doubt that mine was one of the FS6xx models, most likely it was the 630. I was in "reboot" mode at the time, I'd just graduated from electronics school and moved to a new town. I was living in a small trailer and just getting back on my feet.
                  Last edited by ggm1960; 02-27-2019, 02:49 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    I've a K1R in the rack, yes the strings.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
                      I've a K1R in the rack, yes the strings.
                      I have a K-1r in my rack too.
                      Now I have to figure out how to edit that patch all over again.
                      He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post

                        I have a K-1r in my rack too.
                        Now I have to figure out how to edit that patch all over again.
                        If you need any manuals etc I can scan and post them here...
                        I replaced the battery in mine a couple of years ago.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nice keetee View Post

                          If you need any manuals etc I can scan and post them here...
                          I replaced the battery in mine a couple of years ago.
                          I have them. It turns out the magic I had in the patch resulted from editing
                          I did via an obsolete but brilliant sequencer, Digital Orchestrator Pro. I did it all
                          via cc messages.

                          I’m trying to soften that attack. Then I’ll be be home again.
                          I’ve been trying to recreate that soft attack on the synth & haven’t
                          quite gotten there yet.
                          Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 03-22-2019, 06:53 PM.
                          He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post

                            I have them. It turns out the magic I had in the patch resulted from editing
                            I did via an obsolete but brilliant sequencer, Digital Orchestrator Pro. I did it all
                            via cc messages.

                            I’m trying to soften that attack. Then I’ll be be home again.
                            I’ve been trying to recreate that soft attack on the synth & haven’t
                            quite gotten there yet.
                            ...8 bit...I lost my main tweak
                            Last edited by nice keetee; 04-04-2019, 10:18 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nice keetee View Post

                              ...8 bit...I lost my main tweak
                              Update:

                              The magic is back. Attack has mysteriously softened and I have no idea why.

                              I rearranged some MIDI cables. I re-edited & re-saved the same settings on the K-1.

                              The cushy attack is back.
                              Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 04-09-2019, 11:22 PM.
                              He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X