Montage (possibly MODX) vs. Motif XF (vs. some other "key" players)

spdrcr2

• Members

Hi All,

My apologies for the potentially long post!

New to the forum and I find myself having quite the time sorting through some options. So I’ve been playing for 15-20 years as a hobby. I recently joined an oldies cover band at the local music school and everyone is recommending I stop treating musicianship as a hobby, and make it a legitimate second source of income. A bit about me…

I start getting into “producing” about 15 years ago. As you may imagine, everyone has parted ways, but I’ve been recently exposed to new people who are actually passionate/dedicated about the craft. My main (practice) workhorse is a Yamaha Motif 6 (classic). The synth action, PowerGrand and ‘74 EP are the 3 reasons I’ve never sold it. In light of my new endeavor, however, I know an 18 year old 61 key ‘board won’t cut it (technology has moved so much). I am familiar with the Propellerheads workflow and often have used the 6 as a controller in the past. I’ve always sampled with Recycle.

Which brings us to now...I plan on keeping the 6 (it still seems to be almost appreciating in value), but can’t quite decide between and MOXF8, MODX8, Montage 7, and a Motif XF7 (I would consider the Montage 8, but I feel like after about 2-3 gigs, my back may begin to protest my life choices). My thought is to add/pair with a Roland V-Synth, some variant of the Akai MPC , and upgrade my bass (hoping to figure out if the thicker PBass neck “trains” smaller hands better, or if a Jazz will do...then is MIA really better than MIJ/MIM for either) so I can create R&B/Jazz/Soul/Urban/Contemporary/House/Lounge music. I plan to use Keys, Organ, EP and the Pads the most (I also have an MIM Strat for leads and rhythm go guitar is covered). As crazy as it sounds I may also consider something like the Hammond HK1C (if you're feeling that I'm completely missing the "obvious" solution that a Korg Kronos or Nord Stage would be ideal, I've considered them, but the key action is not to my liking...so, I've heard on the Korg and so I've seen, myself, on the Nord). Either would be the main board, so it's not like I can control either remotely.

Based on my own tests, the MOXF8 is my favorite in terms of key action, but I’m very worried about the durability of the chassis (it seemed to “give” when I poked the blank section under the name), and the buttons seem to attract a lot of residue. The MODX8 action was a bit “bleh” and I’m not too keen on the 64 voice polyphony given the depth of the current way Yamaha is modeling performances ("8x8" or something). The Montage 7 is definitely on the higher end of the price range (given my other desired purchases), and I’m wondering what I’d be missing from the Motif XF. This brings me to my biggest issue, what am I giving up from the XF, by going with a Montage, while simultaneously feeling that I’d be forfeiting the future if I don’t get the Montage. What a mess (I know)! Just looking for some guidance. I want to do this once and do it right.

All thoughts are welcome!

Archived