Nord Electro 3 owners: buzzing or silent?

ybakos

• Members

Hi there, I need to be sure I've not gone insane. It seems like my Electro 3 has been perfectly silent up until today. This morning it has been emitting a slight buzzing sound, coming from somewhere in side the unit (I can't tell from where). The buzzing does not affect audio out.

My questions is: does your Electro 3 buzz or is it silent?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Members

Yes, it is "normal" and is the case not only with the NE3 but all Clavia Keyboards.

See here (http://www.laboitenoiredumusicien.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1883) for an exhaustive thread (in french though).

It comes from the magnetostriction effect. Strange thing though is that in my case, it also just started after half a year or though of owning the Nord (like in your case), so another reason might be a problem or imperfect insulation (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18124336.300).

And apparently different types of power supplys imply differences in the hum while the NORD one seems to be particularly "hummy".

So I just turn it up a bit and it is fine ;-)

• Members

Hi, mine buzzes also (hum?), but very quietly.

More importantly, I'm having issues with the keybed on mine, anyone else? The black notes 'feel' is distinctly different to the white notes, and there's a lot of key noise when depressing some of them; whilst on the white notes I can hear the sound of the relevant spring on some notes when depressing them. Making playing the keyboard a less enjoyable experience than it should be (this is an understatement - I'm rather annoyed that such an expensive keyboard should have such a lame keybed, I don't seem to remember this being an issue with the NE2 I had...).

Thinking of taking this up with Nord. Anyone else had the same problems, have I got a one off, or is it a design issue?

Oli

• Members

I just spoke with Nord support, and they tell me that the Electro 3 should *not* be emitting any buzzing sound. They suspect the transformer (obviously).

I did read that old French thread (mentioned above). However, note that most $ynth$ don't buzz -- they're silent.

@omvibraphone: I know what you mean about the springy sound in the action. It does occur on my Electro 3 for some, but not all keys. To be honest I don't mind it, but it does make me feel like my expensive Nord is, well, imperfect. Regarding the difference in feel between black and white keys, that's actually a bit natural... the black ones are essentially shorter levers than the white, and will feel different. They feel a little different on a piano too.

Anyway, I'd appreciate other Nord Electro owners posting their experience with this buzzing. While not a show-stopper, I sure would prefer it to be silent. I will let you know what happens w/ Nord support.

• Members

@omvibraphone: I know what you mean about the springy sound in the action. It does occur on my Electro 3 for some, but not all keys. To be honest I don't mind it, but it does make me feel like my expensive Nord is, well, imperfect. Regarding the difference in feel between black and white keys, that's actually a bit natural... the black ones are essentially shorter levers than the white, and will feel different. They feel a little different on a piano too.

I have exactly the same at the Nord Stage EX Compact, some keys have this springy noise which, while not being too annoying, is still weiird since I never had anything like that on other synths I played and indeed, paying 2.5 grand you might expect a good build quality. On the other hand, it is a Fatar keybed right?? So no Nord invention, but might come from the assembling process?? No clue. But still makes me thinking...

Another thing regarding the black keys, only after half a year when I had a closer look on the form of the black keys, I reallized it is not flat on top!! Starting from the lower end it ascends and then descends back towards the red part which is why I found it strange at some times. ON the other hand, isn't it again a standard Fatar??

Hmm, yeah the buzz is strange, especially sinc no other synth seems to have the same "feature". While not being a technician, it might be a different type of Power converter used by Nord (as said on a Wikipedia site on the phenomenon).

Archived