As much as I love the Boards of Canada....

butterknucket

• Members

I've realized that most of their sounds come directly directly from run of the mill software can buy at any music store.

I'm not knocking them at all, but so many people attach so much mystique to their sound and recording process, yet I can hear things directly taken from M-Tron software.

I like them, I just think their sound is pretty easy to nail down.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They've stated several times what they thing of VA stuff and 'laptop music,' so... :)

I tend to agree with them. Not a fan of the Intel Sound. Although I do think that OP-X softie sounds promising.

Also, listen to all the BoC ripoffs. How many of them have really nailed that organic sound? And how many have done it with 'run of the mill' software?

• Members

ElectricPuppy is confused and puzzled by the regular appearence of BoC threads. ElectricPuppy thinks they're not all that or a bag of chips. ElectricPuppy wonders what the fascination is.

On the other hand, there aren't NEARLY enough threads about Jan Hammer's music for Miami Vice.

:mad::cop::mad::cop::mad:

• Members

ElectricPuppy is confused and puzzled by the regular appearence of BoC threads. ElectricPuppy thinks they're not all that or a bag of chips. ElectricPuppy wonders what the fascination is.

Eh. Either you feel the music or you don't. Nothing wrong with that.

Their stuff can make me feel like I'm 8 years old again, or bring back certain chemically-induced memories - or sometimes both at the same time.

According to my iPod stats for the past couple of years, BoC tracks played outnumber every other band I listen to by over 2 to 1.

butterknucket - their music doesn't sound like software at all to me. I hear vintage analogs, Akai samplers, cassette tape recorders and cheap microphones. You can emulate that with software, but I can absolutely hear the difference.

The only BoC song that has disappointed me was "Zoetrope", and that's because it is painfully obvious to me that the entire song is a preset from an Eventide Harmonizer. It's still a beautiful song, but it takes me "out of the moment" knowing how it was done. The rest of their stuff is assembled so well that I can get lost in it.

I could :blah: for a long time on the subject, but I'll stop here.

• Members

Eh. Either you feel the music or you don't. Nothing wrong with that.

Their stuff can make me feel like I'm 8 years old again, or bring back certain chemically-induced memories - or sometimes both at the same time.

According to my iPod stats for the past couple of years, BoC tracks played outnumber every other band I listen to by over 2 to 1.

butterknucket - their music doesn't sound like software at all to me. I hear vintage analogs, Akai samplers, cassette tape recorders and cheap microphones. You can emulate that with software, but I can absolutely hear the difference.

The only BoC song that has disappointed me was "Zoetrope", and that's because it is painfully obvious to me that the entire song is a preset from an Eventide Harmonizer. It's still a beautiful song, but it takes me "out of the moment" knowing how it was done. The rest of their stuff is assembled so well that I can get lost in it.

I could
:blah:
for a long time on the subject, but I'll stop here.

I could have jumped the gun a bit on this one. The reason I said this was because the track "The Smallest Weird Number" contains several sounds taken directly (I believe) from G-Force's M-Tron software (listen to the bird sound effects).

I've also read the interviews where they dismiss 'laptop' bands, but at the same time I wonder if they say that as an attepmp to add to their mystique. There are countless websites where people debate their gear and recording techniques, with numerous theories on their process. I'm not knocking them at all, as I love their music. I do believe they use vintage gear, but it wouldn't surprise me either if they also use software.

• Members

while i do like .. they can be an "art in a can" type of thing for some people. now if only i can get that big doing my doctor who music :thu:

• Members

What has always confused me about IDM bands is how gear inevitably comes up in threads, where it's songwriting that truly separates the top bands from your average glitchy junk.

I am confused as to how the techniques BoC does is considered mysterious and mystique-worthy, but whatever.

Boards of Canada lost me after "Music Has a Right For Children", partially because they seemed to forget about melody.

• Members

They're a popular chillroom band, but also have somehow achieved a "cool" factor in the hipster crowd due to some clever marketing perhaps?

I don't dislike them, but I don't really listen to them either.

Now, Bassnectar on the other hand, his popularity baffles me, talk about a DJ that panders, plays whatever is hip at the moment, doesn't do a single original thing, and somehow has the reputation of being both a creative and innovative performer... Someone needs to put and end to that guy.

• Members

somehow achieved a "cool" factor in the hipster crowd due to some clever marketing perhaps?

what part of "trying to sound like background music from an old documentary" do think wouldn't appeal to hipsters? :lol: it's equal parts nostalgia, obscurity and accessibility, the hipster formula.

• Members

You have to remember ... there are TONS of people that never heard "IDM/Ambient" until Radiohead's KID A.

Boards of Canada was right in the perfect spot. Non-offensive and not challenging. 9/11 also inforced this.

I like them, it's like many other "furniture" music that I like (Stereolab, etc). I just get a little personal when I met people that love them yet hate Aphex Twin. Makes no sense. Usually just means they are some late bloomer. Thinks Aphex is just the Come to Daddy guy.

Where as BoC has that whole Polaroid vibe. I feel Aphex Twin is more other worldly and powerful. Instead of BoC's "remember when". Aphex Twin is more "never lose it in the first place" ... kinda like Cather in the Rye or something like that.

BoC has never come close the beauty of Lichen. Because they don't really write songs.. they write vignettes(which I love). .. and some drawn out zzzzz trip hop.

Just listen .. ignore the video.

rUwAwxyj6b4

Archived