What kind of synth am I looking for?

otherdimensions

• Members

Hey all, I've got a question about which keyboard/synth to seek out. I've played piano for a long time (on a Baldwin upright), but I'm a guitar player first and foremost (I normally only post in the guitar effects forum), and I'm looking for some kind of synth/workstation/keyboard (I don't really know what's what) that'll help me get a pretty good amount of sounds all in one unit. The most important thing to me is a range of convincing string sounds... I'd like to start incorporating some strings into my stuff, and I'd like it to be versatile (for instance, not just a massive sounding orchestra all of the time, a range of big to small sounds). I've fooled around with the strings in GarageBand and really dug what I could use them for, so that's my first requirement. Some other sounds I'm looking for would be piano sounds (different types), a harmonium sound, synth/bass synth sounds, organ sounds (hammond and whatnot), and rhodes sounds. Obviously this is a hell of a lot of ground to cover, and I'm not even really sure if it's typical of hardware to perform so much, and halfway decently at that. I'm a complete layman in this area, so bear with me! Thanks.

• Members

I've played piano for a long time (on a Baldwin upright),

I'm looking for some kind of synth/workstation/keyboard that'll help me get a pretty good amount of sounds all in one unit.

Two things to know here - what is your budget? and,

does the fact that you're used to an acoustic piano mean that an 88-key weighted keyboard is important,

or would a 61/76-key 'synth-action' keyboard be ok for you?

• Members

Two things to know here - what is your budget? and,

does the fact that you're used to an acoustic piano mean that an 88-key weighted keyboard is important,

or would a 61/76-key 'synth-action' keyboard be ok for you?

I would definitely prefer more of an acoustic piano feel, but it's also not make or break. As far as the price, I was just checking out those that were recommended as well as some others, those ones are WAY out of my price range! :lol: Sorry I should have specified. 600 or 700 is probably as high as I'd want to go on this, so that obviously takes the selection way down. I guess what I'm looking for here is more versatility and ease of use more than anything. I'd like the option to be able to edit sounds and all of that when I'm ready, but I also want something that's just easy to switch between patches on the fly, because as far as sampling and sequencing and all that stuff, I can't even wrap my head around it, and it's probably not how I'm gonna use it. I'm just using it mainly as a replacement for a bunch of different instruments.

Now, I can't really tell from the sites, but would either of these fit the description I put in the first post? One is the M Audio Axiom Pro 61:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AxiomPro61.html

and the other is the Korg M50:

http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=253

• Members

'

The M-Audio keyboard you mention is a "controller" only - ie: it doesn't have any 'built-in' sounds/voices.....

this type of keyboard is used to play VSTi's (virtual studio instruments) that you download from a computer - so you need to be hooked-up to a computer all the time.

I have a Korg M50, and it's simply brilliant. If I were you I'd go for that.

• Members

'

The M-Audio keyboard you mention is a "controller" only - ie: it doesn't have any 'built-in' sounds/voices.....

this type of keyboard is used to play VSTi's (virtual studio instruments) that you download from a computer - so you need to be hooked-up to a computer all the time.

I have a Korg M50, and it's simply brilliant. If I were you I'd go for that.

Oh okay, M50's on my list now. I imagine my local music store will have one... this makes things easy! I'm used to the the never-ending abyss that is the guitar gear search. :lol:

• Members

If there's a better keyboard on the maket at the mo for the money, I haven't heard about it!

You won't be disappointed if you get one
:thu:

Keep us informed how you go on?

Thanks to you and the rest for all of the help! I gotta get myself down to the music store this weekend... and browse this forum more. :)

• Members

All right, just thought I'd pop back in to list a few more that are for sale on Craigslist in my area, to see if they fit the description I was talking about. There seem to be a ton of different types of keyboards (I don't really see repeats of the same model on Craigslist!).

Yamaha YPG 635

Yamaha DX711 FD

Korg TR61

Korg V3 Trinity

Roland JP-8000

Roland Juno-G

Roland V-Synth

They're all selling for well under a grand, so that's why I wanted to get an opinion on these as well. Like I said I'm looking for something with strings, pianos, harmonium, synths, organs, and Rhodes sounds.

• Members

All right, just thought I'd pop back in to list a few more that are for sale on Craigslist in my area, to see if they fit the description I was talking about. There seem to be a ton of different types of keyboards (I don't really see repeats of the same model on Craigslist!).

Yamaha YPG 635

Yamaha DX711 FD

Korg TR61

Korg V3 Trinity

Roland JP-8000

Roland Juno-G

Roland V-Synth

They're all selling for well under a grand, so that's why I wanted to get an opinion on these as well. Like I said I'm looking for something with strings, pianos, harmonium, synths, organs, and Rhodes sounds.

Scratch out the JP-8000, that won't get you organ or Rhodes sounds.

• Members

you can't go wrong with the korg triton 61 but i think it has synth action and only 61 keys, it will get you a ton of sounds though. i tried the juno g before and it sounded pretty good as well. it also is 61 key unweighted. try those style of keys first because if you dont need weighted keys you can get alot of bang for your buck and you wont have the hassle of lugging around something heavy.

• Members

Don't buy the TR. It's very limited in its effects section, which is important if you want to combine different types of sounds.

Go for Triton Classic, it's also well under a grand, if you can't spare to get M50!

Is the Classic the same as the Korg v3 Trinity or is it another model?

And how's the Korg X50 by the way? Just thought I'd throw that out there since it's in the same price range too.

• Members

It looks like I'm keeping a dead thread alive, but hopefully I can get a little more input. :p

I've found some more Korgs on CL, so at the moment these are my options (should I go the used route):

Korg Triton

Korg TR 61

Korg Triton Extreme

Korg V3 Trinity

all of those have 61-keys...

and then there's the Juno-G and the V-Synth, as well. The V-Synth look much too complicated and not really aimed at what I'd do, and I don't really know much about the Juno-G. I did eliminate the X50 though, I thought the sounds sounded cheap and cheesy.

Basically I'm just trying to find what the difference between those four Korgs is... the price goes from 700 to 800 on those, so I'm wondering if I should just spring for the 800 dollar Extreme or maybe be more thoughtful about the features. It's just damn hard finding this stuff inside of YouTube demos!

• Members

I've found some more Korgs on CL, so at the moment these are my options (should I go the used route):

Korg Triton

Korg TR 61

Korg Triton Extreme

Korg V3 Trinity

Basically I'm just trying to find what the difference between those four Korgs is...

Judging from your initial post, & for your budget, I still stand by my original recommendation - Korg M50.

I think it ticks all the boxes you were asking for, and will give you additional options in the future.

Whilst any of the above 'boards would be a decent choice, they are out-dated by comparison -

even the Extreme (which was Korgs 'flagship' keyboard for several years) pales sounds-wise in comparison to the M50.

• Members

even the Extreme (which was Korgs 'flagship' keyboard for several years) pales sounds-wise in comparison to the M50.

BUT the extreme has the built-in tube, which is rather nice, ribbon controller and aftertouch. The extreme is also sturdier.

I don't think that any of these boards have a harmonium sample, do they? But that should be fairly easy to synthesize.. Either way, the Triton Extreme and M50 are both very good boards.

Archived