OT: Two quick questions...

Metrosonus

• Members

popcorn - does anyone use a home sized popcorn machine that makes movie theater style popcorn and isn't one of those "old tyme" things on a cart? i desire popcorn perfection and want movie theater style popcorn, but the movie theater poppers are 400$.

music - when i was a kid in the late 70's - early 80's they already called music from the 50s-70's "oldies", but how come they don't call 80s "oldies"?

• Members

1. No. Sounds good though. But not likely to improve my health.

2. "Oldies" = irrelevant. "80's classic" = less likely to lose your radio audience. It's all about spin and PC.

Off thread topic. Have you seen the "Las Vegas" Magnum PI reunion episode?

• Members

who all was in it? I heard larry manetti was in it.. i'll have to look around for it. so now i haven't seen it :D

i just thought it was weird listening to songs in the car with my dad that were less than a decade old being called "oldies" and i was wondering why that never happened to the 80's i listened to. of course they call the kind of stuff my dad would listen to "adult contemporary" these days..

you know, when i was about 8, they had this awesome chinese restuaruant at the mall and i allways wanted to run away and live in the celing of the mall or something and have this swiss family robinson type contraptions getting me stuff from the mall sort of like your idea :lol:

ah cripes :cry: if i ever make it big i allways wanted to own several businesses .. a movie theater showing classics and fun stuff, a haunted house / night club resturaunt, and irish / english pub..

• Members

Tom (obviously:facepalm:), Larry and Roger. They referenced Higgins and Masters too IIRC. A friend visited the States a fair few years ago and did some hollywood tour. He's into his cars a fair bit and spotted teh Ferrari in a studio lot. Sad. Parked there for years exposed to the weather.:cry::facepalm:

• Members

they don't see that stuff as history, but dead weight :idk: which is typical anyway... i was on a MPI forum and people were talking about writing larry manetti and asking him about all these details and they just couldn't get he didn't know.. he was an actor and it was just a job, one that ended 20 years ago.. but that's just it, it's just a job really, and the people don't get as involved with it as the fans do. sometimes the actors do, but not usually the production and parent companies. it's just junk to them.. here at what used to be MGM studio at Disney World they have quite allot of iconic cars and vehicles on their back lot tour, the snowspeeder mark hamil used in star wars for one, just sitting out there. as peoples memories fade of the shows, they'll be auctioned off and some fan will buy it and spend a fortune and the rest of his life restoring it.. sad really..

• Members

1. Its not so much about the machine as it is the kind of kernels and oil they use: http://www.popcornsupply.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=45 Get some of that and use your own stove and pot.

2. You're right, they don't call it "oldies", they call it "classics" now. Do you remember the 50's-era collections that came on a series called "Oldies But Goodies"? I guess now "old" has an even more negative connotation than it used to so they avoid it. Remember kids, "old is bad", mmmm-kay?

• Members

Not an afficianado per se, and I've not dealt with that company; It just turned up in a search for "popcorn supplies". But I spent some brief time with a real popcorn machine (at a concession stand at a ball park), and I remember that, in particular, it was the oil bars that gave the popcorn that "theater" feel. There's nothing all that special about the machine except that it makes a lot at once and constantly stirs the bottom of the pot automatically.

• Members

2) Adam Ant and Steve Strange will never be oldies
:D

:thu::thu:

"That music's lost its taste so T-ry another Fla-vour....."

1) I was at a department store last weekend- and there was a salesman in the appliances department popping corn with an electric kettle popper.

Tasted really good. That could be an option for ya.

• Members

There's nothing all that special about the machine except that it makes a lot at once and constantly stirs the bottom of the pot automatically.

sadly, deep down i think i knew that, i just wanted an excuse to buy an unneccessary, overpriced and extravagant man gadget.

• Members

Well of course! All man caves require man gadgets!
:thu:

My man gadget for a while was a full-size Tempest arcade game. Gleeeeeeeee!

:eek: Oh man! now your talking!

I was after the 'sit-in' Starwars arcade for my 'Den', the classic vector one. Tryed everywhere but the prices are astronomocal.

Wouldn't mind a Williams 'Defender' machine either :cool:

Had a fairly decent fruit machine once. Great for playing before going out pubbing. (which of course lost the urge to waste loads of money whilst out :D )

• Members

i need, and i mean need to find a way to get real guinness draught. nobody can pull one here at all and half the pubs cut it with water. i can get the kegs locally, but i'd have to store everything out in the garage.

but if i did build a pub, it'd have to share room with the tardis console room i want to build too :lol:

• Members

oh, you guys are all welcome
:cool:

did you ever hear of garden pubs? i think it goes along with your tradition of shedding, i was thinking that may be an option as well for me as eventually were going to get a fence.

http://www.getbarred.com/

Most English pubs have gardens. Perfect in the summer, useless in the Winter. :facepalm:

Nothing like sitting outside with a cold Fosters, soaking up what little sunshine we have.

• Members

i've got almost the same popper. but i think the cocconut oil is the difference.. im' going to try out some of those small packs before i jump into the bottles of oil.

Nothing like sitting outside with a cold Fosters, soaking up what little sunshine we have.

ewwwwwwwww...... fosters :lol: i dont like drinking + the heat and humidity here. usually though in october i do a "octoberween" party that's sort of a mishmash between halloween & october fest. the weather is really nice here towards the end of october.

Archived