other differences between poly-800 and poly-800mkII?

anditsfake

• Members

I was wondering if anyone knew of differences between the two versions of the Korg Poly-800. I'm not talking about the Ex-800. I am workng on restoring mine (will not power up, I think the problem is a bad cap) and I figured that while I had it open I would look into fixing the battery based memory inconvenience. I also know about the various mods to be considered for the Poly-800. Please, I am not looking for information about that right now. I just want to know of any differences or quirks between the two makes that would be useful to know about.

I know that one of the key differences is the chorus versus the digital delay effects, but as I've been exploring the insides I've noticed that there is no internal battery (the little button cell that backs up the memory). I have an original Korg Poly-800, not the later released mkII version. I want to know if I can install a battery on the board or not. There is a place on the pcb where it would have been installed, but it is nevertheless not included in the original. Is there anything I sould be aware of preventing a battery soldered into this spot on the pcb from working properly? Has anyone installed a battery on a poly-800 which previously did not have one. I know there is a lot of information out there on replacing old batteries, but this is obviously not useful if the board doesn't have one to begin with.

Archived