Nord Stage Question

kevinkeyes

• Members

Can anyone answer a Nord question for me?

I am wondering about the piano sounds on the Nord. I like the Grand #2 that is on there...I am just wondering..do I just need to learn how to touch the keys to make it sound more natural? I would think that it is just because I am used to my weighted Yamaha, but I have a roland XP30 that is not weighted, and it seems to be less of a struggle to play. The Nord Stage is semi-weighted and all the notes sound too abrupt, not enough decay maybe? But I cannot figure out how to EQ any of the piano sounds.

So basically, is there anything I can do, or do I just need to get used to holding the keys differently when I play?

Any answers/help would be appreciated!

~Kevin

• Members

Hi,

what Yamaha are you comparing it with (I'd guess something like the P80 rather than an S90 something??), and most importantly, are you talking of the Compact(73) or 76 or 88 Stage?

I also played the XP-30 before my NS Compact and found the keys only a bit harder on the Compact, which I like, and the Waterfall design is great for organ solos. But no big difference IMHO. The weighted versions are on the other hand not far at least from the Roland Stage Pianos I played.

And what do you mean exactly what you do not find natural??

Compared to the XP-30, the Stage Piano is WAY more naturalistic (while the XP sounds good for Rock Piano!), rather than LESS IMHO. The decay changes like on a grand over the octaves and is rather good IMHO.

Obviously, you cannot change the overall ADSRs for the Piano Section and EQing will not help you much in this respect.

However, you might want to try the four different Velocity curves of the Stage and as the second poster suggested, check the PA/Amp you are using cause it really makes a huge difference and having decent amplification is indispensable for a good sound.

Archived