Vocoder + compressor question

• Members

I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me out here :wave:

I'm picking up a cheap microkorg just for the vocoder, and I've read that vocoders sound better with a compressor on the mic.

Will it work fine to run the included mic into a Boss CS-2 and then into the MK?

secondly, what if I wanted to use an SM57? Do i need a pre-amp, or can I just go 57>CS-2>MK?

thanks in advance!

• Members

Thanks for the advice, but i'm not about to buy a synth.

I'm getting the microkorg in a trade for a roland saturn09 which I found and dont use, so i'm not actually spending any money.

The 57 is a vocal mic. I've been touring for 4 years and after a lot of trial and error, the 57 is actually my mic of choice for my vocals.

I had a feeling that starting a thread about a microkorg would make people assume i'm a noob. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all that info, but i just wanted those questions answered. :)

• Members

You can use whatever dynamic mic that works well for you on the MicroKorg, and the SM57 is certainly much better quality than the standard MK gooseneck mic. I wasn't assuming you were general noob. But I'm not anti-noob in any case, which is why I provided the extra info, even though it appears that it wasn't needed. No biggie. You'll be vocoding away in no time with the MK. The MK vocoder can also use Audio Input 2 for the carrier, so you might try feeding it with another keyboard if you want a wider range of interesting vocodes than possible with the internal MK engine alone. I'm also not anti-microkorg - except perhaps on the value equation vs. the MKXL or R3. The MK sounds damn good for what it is, and a trade for it is a great way to pick one up.
You still will have to live with the Microkorg image issue - because it's so noobylicious to so many noobands.
;)

Indeed, I must admit i'm a little wary of the MK as i've seen so many haircut bands using them. And that genre knob - :facepalm:

It wont be coming anywhere near the band though, I've just been mucking around syncing a dr-55 to a sh-101 and juno-6, and wanted to get some vocoder on it.

That is cool news about input 2 as carrier, I can imagine it might sound nice with the juno-6.

re-reading my second post, sorry if I come of a little brash. If I do enjoy the MK i may just look into an R3 should I get the funds.

Thanks for your help :thu:

• Members

Aw, man, I was just using that MK vocoder last night and wishing it was better. I was playing outdoors at a party, and there was a UFO! As soon as it left and everyone stopped gawking and scratching their heads I dialed in my "Mothership" patches on the Evolver and the Fantom, and landed that sucker. Then I started doing a "greetings, Earthlings" speech through the MK vocoder.

The extreme awesomeness might have actually made the UFO come back for a visit, except that the MK vocoder was completely unintelligible. :mad: The awesomeness was thwarted by the poor vocoder.

To be fair, I was using the built-in mic.

Archived