Moog Little Phatty Stage ii arpeggiator thread. Discuss.

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

How good is it and how is the tap tempo button on it? Is it super fast and does it stay tight even when quickly changing tempos with the Rate/LFO knob? Tell me more about it! This feature would be a major factor for me buying it as I am looking for something that can really excell at very fast arpeggiations, but that are precise and don't crap out when quickly altering tempos in real time. The Roland JP-8000 had one of the best arpeggiators IMO in that it never glitched when going from super fast to medium to slow when turning the rate knob, but it didin't have the tap tempo button, which I really like. Tap tempo for me is a great feature because I don't like to set the arpeggiator to a MIDI clock (or with a drum machine, groove box etc.)

I would be using the arps in a more proggy context where tempos might change without any drums or sequenced groove dictating the tempo change.

• Members

Ha ha! What about the Farfisa Syntorchestra! Hey guys, I know, it's called the sound of GAS meets OCD! I might add though, I have ALWAYS had my questions answered by intelligent personnel on here, and you my friend are no exception. Thanks to you all and yes I guess you could say I'm a bit impatient eh? I think I once bumped a thread after about 20 minutes of not getting a reply, an hour is a picnic at thats not to mention me asking twice or thrice about the same d***n synth. Thanks for putting up with it my friends. You are the best.

• Members

I know, I'm just messing with you :)

Why don't we call this thread "Name all the synths with arpeggiators that have a tap tempo feature". That'll save you opening up a few more threads ;)

By the way, when you say you want something capable of "fast arpeggiations" without "crapping out", I believe what you really want is a synth with fast envelopes, it's not really a matter of the arpeggiator being good or not. They'll all go fast or slow, but sometimes the envelopes won't keep up. I was listening to a Jupiter-6 demo file yesterday where the guy started to speed up the arpeggiator and to the point where it started sounding like crap, because the envelopes in the JP-6 are a bit slow.

• Members

Hey ChristianRock, good point, you are right about the envelopes affecting how fast or efficiently the arpeggiator will cycle. Also, the sound you choose has alot to do with it as well. Bell sounds and lead sounds will always sound good fast. Funny, I already posted a thread asking about synth/workstations that have a tap tempo feature! I'm hopeless.

• Members

If I were you I'd really try to get my hands on a Novation Nova/Supernova/KS*, or a Roland JP-8080. They're not expensive, and they have superb arpeggiators and fast envelopes and would serve you well.

Of course, you could always use the arpeggiator on the PC3, as I saw a thread where people here taught you how to tap the tempo via a pedal ;)

And look at what else I found:

Moog Little Phatty Stage ii owners. Questions about new arpeggiator. Please help.

How precise is the Moog Little Phatty Stage II arpeggiator?

• Members

Thanks. I know, I know, don't rub it in! Yeah, I am using the arpeggiator on my PC3 and it works well. And yes the JP8080 or JP-8000 do have great arpeggiators.

I like to play everything in real time, so I am gassing for a board that would handle the arpeggiaed parts with right hand separately. It's funny how I repost things...but you know, I am always searching for that user who is doing something similar to what I am trying to do so some of the answers don't quite suffice. Strangely enough, I am so passionate about tap tempo features. I want to use the arpeggiator in an almost contemporary classical context where the arpeggiations can be controlled "on the fly" but still stay precisely timed to a sudden change of rhythm which might start or stop very quickly without any kind of groove or drum pattern happening in the background. So, yes, I do post redundantly but perhaps out of some glimmer of hope that I might find an answer that might be closer to what I am trying to do in a musically stylistic context.

• Members

A lot of pro bands that are in the drums/bass/guitar/keys rock context, use sequencers for that with a metronome output for the drummer. So these sounds are pre-programmed.

Tap tempos for quick changes, with your hand or your foot, isn't really practical in a gig, unless you're not playing any parts other than the arpeggiation. Too much risk of error...

• Members

I hear ya. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to do but it works, I tried it while playing two Korg M3's at Guitar Center at the same time. I would play a slow string part on one synth and began tapping in sync on the other M3 with the rythm I was playing and had a nice legato arpeggiation flowing right along with it-no drums, sequences or anything. The cool thing is that, I could improvise with speed when transitioning to another section by playing in a more deliberate way with emphasis on making the chords sustain more then again tapping out my new tempo for another passage. It was really fun, because I wasn't confined to a rhythm track or a click/beat so to speak. You can also use your sustain pedal to let the chord ring out longer on one board while you tap in your new speed on the other.

• Members

There isn't a Guitar Center in Small Temperate Rain Forest, where you can try one out first hand?

I like the ARP on my LP but I haven't used the tap tempo feature. When I read your post this morning I figured I'd check it out tonight and report back for you. At the time it didn't seem important enough for me to leave work and rush home to test it out. :poke:

• Members

Thanks ChristianRock, yeah that would be cool. It's always cool talkin synths with you bro.

soundxplorer, there was a Little Phatty at GC a while back (pilgramage out of the rainforest into a fairly noisy city) but it was over a year ago before they included the arpeggiator. I should find out if they have one currently. Please do, maybe you will revive this thread when you arrive home and let us know how the tap tempo responds, if not you can always pm me about it.

• Members

My findings:

Tap Tempo works great and is simple enough to use.

It will work on the LFO Rate too, not just the ARP.

With the ARP on, press and hold the LFO Rate button for about a second and it will go into Tap Tempo mode. Tapping the LFO Rate button twice will change the tempo accordingly. I never had to tap it more than twice - it always registered the tempo on the second tap.

In normal mode the ARP goes up to 320 BPM when the rate knob is fully clockwise.

Using Tap Tempo I got it up to 680 BPM. That's about as fast as I could tap. :)

The only bummer with the LP is that other parameters, such as CLOCK DIV, are accessed through the menu screens. There's really no other way they could do it, since this is all basically a software update.

• Members

Tres cool. Thanks for reporting back with your findings. It sounds like the LFO rate button on the Littly Phatty functions a little like the tap tempo button on the Roland Fantom series workstations; I think you first have to tap it once-just to see the tap tempo icon register-and then again to actually start the tap tempo. I kind of wish you could just tap it without having to hold it down first but, no biggie. Did you have to preprogram triplets, or quarter, eighth, etc. into the menu to get the arpeggiator to cycle at all on the presets you chose or is there a default arp setting (like straight quater notes or something) for each of the presets if you don't program the note values in advance?

• Members

I kind of wish you could just tap it without having to hold it down first but, no biggie.

You don't have to hold it every time you want to change tempo.

Once it is in Tap Tempo mode, it stays there until you hold the button down again to go back to normal mode.

Clock Division is set in the menu and stored along with the patch. If the patch is saved with Quarter Notes and you want to change it to Triplets, it takes about 3 button pushes and a knob twist.

• Members

Of course they did just update the LP operating system to 2.2 which gives you complete midi cc control over ALL of the hidden menu options (those that you cannot access on the front of the LP). Having the CP-201 would really enhance your ability to do {censored} on the fly at show with the LP.

Archived