Rhodes sound with (guitar) Vibrato/Tremolo pedal

Spybar

• Members

Hello mates,

I did some digging in the forum and in the cyberspace... and I didn't get any clear answer... so I'll try your up-to-date recommendation.

Some days ago I've played a real Rhodes with a built in Vibrato... and I fell in love... I want to be able to control the Vibrato as close to the real thing... but with a reasonable price... :rolleyes:

I have Roland Fantom G7.

Its Rhodes sound is pretty good... I want to add some Tremolo effect to it (it FG7 has some nice Tremolo effect, but I want to use an analogue one).

I wonder if to get a Mono tremolo or a stereo one.

At first I thought about PiggyFX Tremolo costume made. I bought PiggyFX D.U.I. Overdrive Pedal, it has amazingly clear true bypass. I bought it to add some overdrive-dirt to my Rhodes & Hammond sounds, and it works wonderful! Though it's mono...

I thought about Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar, but I saw that it's Mono In and 2 Stereo Out, right? What do you think about it?

Or what about Electro-Harmonix Wiggler Tube Vibrato/Tremolo? It has Vibrato! Rhodes has vibrato...

Or maybe Dunlop TS-1 MXR M159 Tremolo with 2 In & 2 Out?

I know there are some much more expensive tremolo pedal... I wonder if it worth it for my purpose.

As always, I appreciate your help very much!

Thank you, :wave:

SpyBar

• Members

Hi, I own the fantom X8 with SRX-07 Ultimate Keys. I like the ballad panner rhodes patch.

I see the real trick is to start with the tremelo disabled for the note attack and then bring in the tremelo for the note sustain. This helps maintain the note articulation.

Keep looking into the Fantom G as the solution to your needs.

I bought a Rhodes Mark 1 last week. I only slightly injured myself bringing it into the house.

Mark

• Members

They don't actually have vibrato, it is a stereo pan effect utilizing photoresistors and light bulbs.

That just sounds sooooo much cooler than vibrato or reverb......

"So, what FX do you have ?"

"Well, I have a stereo pan effect that utilizes photoresistors and light bulbs."

• Members

To the OP: I know you want to go analog, but the Fantom WILL give you that effect AND make it so that you can control it easily in real time by assigning it to the rotary knobs for say, depth and speed.

If you want a truly EXTERNAL device (albeit digital not analog) I recommend the Line 6 MM4 (http://line6.com/mm4/) - the first generation one (big blue box) has some killer vibe/chorus/trem/rotary/etc. modulation models INCLUDING A PANNER with easy realtime control touches PLUS had stereo in/stereo out capability - not sure about the newer modular system. And with 16 different modeled stompboxes it covers a lot of sonic ground.

I've seen that Line6 stuff on MANY top rigs of old-school guys that play REAL Rhodes, Wurli, Hammond, Hohner etc., such as Danny Louis (Gov't. Mule) and others.

• Members

Thank you mates for your inputs! :)

I've tried the Fantom G7's Stereo Pan effect - and it's pretty nice!

1) What kind on Stereo Pan effect wave SHAPE should I use? Triangle? Square? Sine?

2) What's the max speed it should have?

Still thinking of external gear for it...

Thanks again & again,

SpyBar

• Members

Akapuli, have you tried Electro-Harmonix Wiggler Tube Vibrato/Tremolo with Rhodes? Thanks

Roland Rhodes VK-1000 :-) Unfortunately this effect is mono.

If you check old YouTube videos with Stevie Wonder, Lonnie Linston Smith etc., you'll see most of them used guitar pedals too (Mu-Tron, EHX/Boss phasers or tremolo)

Archived