Waldorf Largo

Metrosonus

• Members

It's pretty good but can be really resource heavy and it doesn't sound quite as good as the blo.

I think a big part of the problem though is the demo tracks stink for the most part which is typical waldorf. Good products {censored}ty business behind it.

• Members

i thought they were pretty good :idk: they sounded a bit IDM, old school industrial in places. a nice change from the lite jazz or progressive rock that most demos are. You think the demo are what's killing the enthusiasm?

it is pretty resource heavy.. but i think that's due in part to the effects. i'll have to check it out later, but i used to have the same problem on vstation all the time; make one wrong move and you'd end up in a reverb loop that would crash your system. last night i turned off the effects on one of the first basses, added the arpeggiator, pinpong delay from Live and the auto filter and it sounded pretty damn sweet to me. the filter has a nice grungy sound right in the midrange, which is what i like..

• Members

I think a big part of the problem though is the demo tracks stink for the most part which is typical waldorf.

I don't see any demotracks on the Largo product page. If you're referring to my tracks that I posted above, you may be right. But you shouldn't blame Waldorf for these ;)

• Members

It really is not that bad on resources at all. Just about anything worth having is going to consume some CPU cycles. Largo generated a lot of buzz when it came out, but some other major releases like DCAM and the NI Komplete 6 release have garnered much attention at KVR lately. If the software is not brand new, have a new update, coming soon, have a new preset pack release (or pre-release demo), or does not have any major associated issues then the chatter dies down really fast.

• Members

It really is not that bad on resources at all. Just about anything worth having is going to consume some CPU cycles.

It pushes well over 20% CPU usage on an i7 965 running at 4g when you start pushing the number of voices up around 64 or so. That's pretty bad and that's only a single instance. If you wanted to write a piece with just largo you would have to bounce to audio or keep a close eye on your usage unless you have a top of the line machine.

I don't see any demotracks on the Largo product page. If you're referring to my tracks that I posted above, you may be right. But you shouldn't blame Waldorf for these

The blo tracks are pretty much demo's for largo. I didn't listen to yours doc.

I do think it's a decent soft-synth though.

• Members

It pushes well over 20% CPU usage on an i7 965 running at 4g when you start pushing the number of voices up around 64 or so.

That is a lot of voices.

How do you like the i7 processor? I have not read much about them but I saw Dell was advertising and started to look last night. The clock speeds for these processors are much lower than the core 2 duos, but there must be other optimizations that make up for it - I need to read to learn more about how they work and what type of computations work with the trade-off and what if any work against. The higher performance processor still adds about a thousand dollars to the price of a laptop so I guess it will be a little while before they become mainstream.

• Members

this is currently my favorite synth hard or soft [after Vaz modular of course] - I couldn't afford to buy it since I have a baby coming- but while I had the demo I recorded a few full tracks with only Largo and extensively sampled it and reconstructed it's wavetables for use in the Vaz wavetable module- just an amazing synth- I would say it is the best sounding PPG/Waldorf synth of all time-

• Members

Is Largo multi-threaded? If not and you are not using it in a multi-threaded DAW then I am not really sure how much performance boost you will get on an i7 versus a high end quad core like a QS9950, Q9960, or Q9970X. As far as I have been able to tell most of the performance metrics advertised on Intel's web site are for multi-threaded applications that are data intensive and highly amenable to parallel processing. Factor in the fact that the i7-975 and 965 are both still bat-{censored}-insane expensive (like 2.5X the price of a QS9950) I don't think it is worth the expense yet - at least for me. For the mobile processors I am really not grokking them yet. I need to read and learn more.

• Members

I couldn't be more oblivious to how a situation arises where a sound uses 64 voices.

Well you can have up to 6 detuned unison voices per patch, but 64/6 is not an integer so suppose you use 4 per patch. 64/4 = 16. So you can press 16 keys at once. I have only ten fingers so that seems sorta silly. Since it is 4 channel multi-timbral, you could have 4 keys pressed with each of the 4 channels having a different patch and each patch having 4 detuned voices. Or you could have each channel listening to a different MIDI track and one playing some big-ass chords, the other playing a fat bass, the other an insane lead, and the last doing who knows what - arpeggios or rhythm noises or something. Or you could have four really cool evolving textures on each channel doing something different. It is no problem at all having one instance of Largo slurp up 64 voices. The trick is to make it not sound like mush.

Archived