Any of you esteemed folk have, use, and enjoy a Korg Karma?

Suilebhain

• Members

I owned one for about 3 years. Swore I'd never sell it. Well, tbh, for me, it was the Karma function itself that eventually made me sell it. (I had to force myself). The problem was, you would for example, dial up some incredible moving pad GE, be totally awe inspired, get totally lost in it, and then (for me at least) totally forget what it was you set out to do in the first place. :D It is quite remarkable how complex and beautiful sounding it is, even though its basically a standard Triton sitting underneath, it still sounds very intricate and mesmerizing. But in the end, as amazing as it was, it was too hypnotic for me. Pulled me in, which is good I suppose, but none of my other gear seemed to get touched whilst I was using it.

Still, a very cool piece of kit and I do find myself missing it sometimes :cool:

• Members

I like hypnotic, intricate and mezmerizing. Sounds like I would probably enjoy a Karma!

I owned one for about 3 years. Swore I'd never sell it. Well, tbh, for me, it was the Karma function itself that eventually made me sell it. (I had to force myself). The problem was, you would for example, dial up some incredible moving pad GE, be totally awe inspired, get totally lost in it, and then (for me at least) totally forget what it was you set out to do in the first place.
:D
It is quite remarkable how complex and beautiful sounding it is, even though its basically a standard Triton sitting underneath, it still sounds very intricate and mesmerizing. But in the end, as amazing as it was, it was too hypnotic for me. Pulled me in, which is good I suppose, but none of my other gear seemed to get touched whilst I was using it.

Still, a very cool piece of kit and I do find myself missing it sometimes
:cool:

• Members

DArkstorm, karma must be the one of the most overpriced synth. $1700 retail for a yamaha portatone-like keys, and pianos worse than N5EX.

Agreed, the keys were, quite honestly the worst ive ever used. Same as the ones on the Triton le I believe. But..... for a near fully-blown Triton, 5 insert fx, Karma function, decent sequencer, expansion capabilities, I think the price was reasonable? :idk:

• Members

As you might guess from my user name that I am a huge fan of the Korg Karma. I bought one when they first came out and have used it ever since. I created all the basic tracks for my last two ambient music CD's on it, and then overdubbed with other synths and guitars. It's been the most important and influential synth I've ever owned, and there have been a lot of them since the 80's.

A few months ago I bought an M3 module and my plan was to sell the Karma - I even had a buyer lined up for a good price. So I started making samples from the Karma to use at a later time. I realized then that there were still a lot of great sounds in it that I hadn't used yet in a recording so I couldn't bring myself to let go of it just yet. I'm starting my next album now and at least half of the songs will be based on sounds and sequences from the Karma keyboard.

To hear samples of it in action:

www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic

Archived