Roland Legacy Collection Perhaps?

flat earth

• Members

Ok, so Korg have their rather splendid Legacy collection, involving Polysix, Monopoly, MS-20, Wavestation and M1. (More to follow hopefully).

Lets imagine Roland had decided to enter the arena seriously. What selection of their past catalogue do you think would be a good introductory release? (before introducing more fill in products)

I would like to see maybe:

1) V-Jupiter 8

2) V-SH-101

3) V-MKS-70

4) V-System 100

5) A mixture of the V-SDE and COSM fx

& maybe a electronic percussion section including:

V-TR808

V-TR909

V-TR77

I know it will probably never happen, but would be interesting to see what people would expect or hope for.

Hey! maybe they might even take notice! :wave:

• Members

As pointed out, Roland already attempted a virtual Jupiter 8 and TB303 on the VariOS - And the results? Nothing short of bloody awful.

People shouldn't mistake a companies ability to do decent sounding digital instruments with an ability to do good analogue emulations. Getting an analogue emulation right is a separate art in itself, and something which goes far beyond mathematical abilities. For evidence of this you need only look as far as Sonic Projects OPX Pro, which uses Synthedit as its basis, yet is a far closer emulation attempt than almost any analogue emulation anybody has yet put out, and that includes far more established hardware companies who have teams of DSP coders.

Roland simply aren't going to do better than D16 when it comes to SH101 and 303 emulations (Incidentally, even though I say this, I'm not a huge D16 fan). Roland also licensed Arturia's emulation of the Jupiter 8 - In effect recognizing that they're not going to do a better attempt themselves, and giving it their blessing. Of course, that sucks when you know just how half arsed Arturia's approach to sound emulation is - they're perfectly happy to ballpark synths, and completely ignore many basic things which make an analogue polysynth sound how it does. None of their instruments capture the spirit of the originals in the way something like OPX does..

Digital emulations are a different boat. There's little reason why they couldn't do virtual versions which are exact copies of their D50, JD800, JP8000, or their romplers (well, converters aside). But they don't seem inclined to go in that direction for whatever reasons.

• Members

I think maybe the V-Synth could be incorporated too
:idea:

I'd think a software version of the VariOS, with an updated assortment of effects and COSM models, would work just as well.

Really, once you take away AP Synthesis (and account for the difference in processing power), the big advantage of the V-Synth over the VariOS is that the former incorporates such a huge variety of expression controls.

For a software V-Synth to adequately replicate the hardware version, you'd have to attach one heck of a MIDI controller. And then you'd basically have a hardware V-Synth, anyway -- just with a lot less portability.

• Members

I think pretty much anyone would do a much better job than Roland at re-creating old Rolands. It simply isn't the same company anymore.

Hmm, but Korg did a pretty good job. And far as I know, they aren't the same company they were? :idk:

If they can do things like the V-Synth, I see no reason why they couldn't conjour up something reasonably good?

• Members

i wouldnt hold my breath for a software solution, at least not from Roland themselves. Maybe Arturia will do it if they can get the liscenses. The closest you can get to a Legacy Roland synth today is the V-Synth XT. It has the D-50, a TB303 filter, VP330 vocoding and a JP-8000 emulation.

Add a XV5080 filled with boards and you got the last 20 years of Roland Synth history covered.

• Members

As pointed out, Roland already attempted a virtual Jupiter 8 and TB303 on the VariOS - And the results? Nothing short of bloody awful.

hmm.. I quite like the Jupiter 8 on the VariOS (results vary by user I suppose).

It's one of my favorite virtual analogs actually. to boot, the effects section of this synth is fantastic. I prefer the VariOS-8 to an MKS-50 or 30 (not going to take on an MKS80- but in a mix, it works well).

• Members

hmm.. I quite like the Jupiter 8 on the VariOS (results vary by user I suppose).

It's one of my favorite virtual analogs actually. to boot, the effects section of this synth is
fantastic
. I prefer the VariOS-8 to an MKS-50 or 30 (not going to take on an MKS80- but in a mix, it works well).

That's fair enough. My comment was more about it in terms of an emulation attempt, rather than whether or not it was a usable VA.. It's not unlike a lot of hardware which start out as attempts of various synths, fail at that to varying degrees, but still turn out to be synths with their own merits.. Ala Nord Lead, AN1x etc..

• Members

That's fair enough. My comment was more about it in terms of an emulation attempt, rather than whether or not it was a usable VA.. It's not unlike a lot of hardware which start out as attempts of various synths, fail at that to varying degrees, but still turn out to be synths with their own merits.. Ala Nord Lead, AN1x etc..

:wave:I think I understand- you're saying as an emulation of a Jupiter 8 it's a failure?:cry:

- but conceding it may be a decent VA in it's own right.

I admit owning it is not compelling me to sell my Jupiter6 ;) ... but I would sell an MKS50 or MKS30 (if I had one) and keep the VairOS8.

• Members

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/09/18/multipurpose-synth-with-layered-architecture/

The sonic state team seemed to like this one, may be worth a check.

:wave:

Indeed Sir!

but I still wonder why Roland themselves haven't invested in developing this software. Im almost certain, someone in the company must have questioned it?

Archived