Which audio interface for recording Keys + Playing Softsynths

-groovatious-

• Members

Hey guys

I need to buy a new audio interface to use with my Mac Mini + Logic. I pretty much will be using it to record 1 stereo pair at a time and for playing softsynths with LOW latency.

My budget is under $800 Australian.

So far most people have recommended the Apogee Duet. The other recommendation has been for the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.

Obviously the Duet integrates well with logic + has great convertors but I've been told the Sapphire has better (lower) latency, good sounding pres + the extra inputs would be handy so I wouldn't have to keep plugging/unplugging synths.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

• Members

Hey guys

I need to buy a new audio interface to use with my Mac Mini + Logic. I pretty much will be using it to record 1 stereo pair at a time and for playing softsynths with LOW latency.

My budget is under $800 Australian.

So far most people have recommended the Apogee Duet. The other recommendation has been for the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.

Obviously the Duet integrates well with logic + has great convertors but I've been told the Sapphire has better (lower) latency, good sounding pres + the extra inputs would be handy so I wouldn't have to keep plugging/unplugging synths.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

Never used either.

Apogee has an impeccable reputation, but there's always the point of diminishing returns. Recording will probably take higher priority over playback in most cases. I guess part of it depends on how picky you are, how good your ears are, and what media are you going to end up with. You might not have to go for the high end to get acceptable results.

• Members

My saffire LE has very low latency, but it's kind of obnoxious as my main audio device. Maybe its something to do with vista, but i would often have to adjust the playback device (between outputs 1/2 and 3/4) because this noisy buzz would come on whenever i'd play anything. I haven't used it on my macbook yet...stupid apple and their different dvi / firewire outputs...

If I can figure out if its my computer and not a screwy unit, i'll probably still try to sell it to get a duet, for portability as much as anything else.

Archived