How to make drum samples CUT with an analog bassline

SoundwaveLove

• Members

As is, the ableton drum samples (707, 808, 909) just don't come though the mix with my future retro XS sequences. I'm making these big thick house basslines that NEED a powerful kick and it's just not happening, the drum samples are getting totally drowned out, except for the highs.

Producer tricks to get drums pounding? Do I need a real drum machine? There must be a digital way to do this.

I don't know much about sidechaning, I've never done it is that my salvation?

• Members

Since I have no context in regards to your sounds I'll simply speculate and throw out a few ideas. My gut reaction is that the XS needs to be reigned in a bit so it doesn't step all over everything. Apologies if you've already tried them or you already know this stuff...

If your kick is getting lost in the bass, remember that one or the other has to dominate the subs. Decide in the arrangement which one you want to sit lower in the spectrum and go from there. I tend to use an 808 for more of a subby style kick with the bass on top and a 909 and 707 to be punchier with the bass filling out most the lows. But that's just me... Don't be afraid to twiddle the eq a bit to see if you can make things fit. You can also distort the kick a bit to get some variation in tone that sometimes helps.

If you simply can't avoid masking between the two, try the 'ol duck the bass on the kick by sidechaining the kick signal into a compressor controlling the bass. Kick hits, bass ducks. Adjust timing to taste and desired effect. 4:1 is a good starting point and if you're using plugs, time the attack and release based on BPM to keep things tight.

Try compressing the kick. You can get a 909 to really pound with a fast attack and fast to mid release followed by a sprinkle of eq. You can also try and layer a few kick samples to see if you get the desired result you're after...

Archived