Well-made keyboards

AnCap

• Members

It seems to me that, like a lot of other products these days, keyboards are built to be nearly disposable. Are there any outliers in this trend in your opinion? I am talking about keybeds, knobs, and over all fit and finish as well as sound quality.

• Members

Everything seems inferior after one has felt the Moog Voyager's knobs. (Except I really don't like the pitch wheel -- not a big pitch wheel user).

Access's larger Virus had a nice keybed that I really liked -- buttons and rest of it not so much, but tolerable.

The Nord stuff seems decent, except for the keybed being just a hair not so decent. I took it appart trying to fix a weird key and was not super impressed. Still, workable. I'm sure there are much worse, and I appreciated it being light and they were aiming for that.

I wouldn't actually agree with the PC3x being all that awesome -- I mean, I think it would hold up fine, but the sliders are kind of lame and there is a lack of engineering awesomeness there.

I'm no doubt picky about build quality. If the stuff is that expensive, I expect it to be very very tank-like.

Comprimising on something as simple as knobs to save $10 or $20 on a board is not something I approve of. Hearing that the Yamaha's are MDF on the bottom -- that's just sad.

• Members

Voyager

I was sort of hoping that someone would mention this, as it is sort of what I expected. Although, I would think that something in between the Old School, Voyager, and Phatty would probably be what I was after.

I would pay 3k for a Prophet 08 that had better knobs and keys.

• Members

I've used my fully expanded Fan X7 every day practically since I got it more than four years and it's still in practically like-new condition ... Pretty much same story for Juno-60, V-synth, V-Synth XT, Jupiters 6 and 8 ... My Korg Electribes, as much as I enjoy them, seem like they will not be with me as long ... Jury's out on KP3s ... Seem fairly well-made and mine are still in great shape ... But time will tell there ...

• Members

The Microkorg is very well built actually. My cousin always gigs with his and hasn't been easy for it the 3 years he's used one. But that's a 2002 synth, after that it went downhill. The Microkorg XL and X50 look very fragile.

DSI MoPho is another cheap synth that's pretty sturdy. We also haven't heard of any problems with the knobs, which was common with earlier DSI synts. But it's not a keyboard.

Blofeld too perhaps? The complete outside is metal, including the knobs and the keys feel great.

Then there's the Nord Lead 2X. Don't know much about it though.

• Members

I've used my fully expanded Fan X7 every day practically since I got it more than four years and it's still in practically like-new condition ... Pretty much same story for Juno-60, V-synth, V-Synth XT, Jupiters 6 and 8 ...

All of those you mention being a Roland model is noteworthy. Roland has always made their instruments to last.

BTW, Congrats on the Jupiter 8! :thu:

• Members

You can pay 2.2k and you get a P'08 Potentiometer Edition.
:wave:

The keys bother me more than the knobs, but I have considered that. I think I might wait around for the next DCO 8 voice and see how it compares.

Thanks for the thread title edit.

• Members

All of those you mention being a Roland model is noteworthy. Roland has always made their instruments to last.

BTW, Congrats on the Jupiter 8!
:thu:

Yep. I have a Roland A90-EX and an RD-700. Gigged a ton with the 700. They both still look and feel new. Great quality from my perspective.

• Members

My 51 year old B-3.

charlene1.jpg

WOW Mate, she's a beauty all right!! Bully for you, I'm jealous as hell now!

Back on topic - My 7 year old Fantom-S has gigged a ton and still works well, My Korg CX3 v2 is kicking along nicely, My Yamaha SY85 is good except for I occasionally bust a key when I get to Honky Tonkin' on it too hard. The Radias hasn't let me down but I baby it, particularly the knobbage.

In general it seems to me that the Big 3's top workstations seem to be made pretty well but everything else below starts to get a little suspect. Gone are the days of the full line durability that we (mostly) experienced in the 80s thru 90s.

And I avoid M-Audio and other cheap controllers like the plague. Why, oh why won't Roland and/or Yamaha update their classic controllers (A90, KX88 etc.) to modern spec and build them to take the abuse of tour schedules????

• Members

Roland of yore doesn't count. The topic is keyboards THESE DAYS. If we are allowed to trot out an endless list of stuff that used to be made well, I will just trump you all with this:

My 51 year old B-3.

charlene1.jpg

Yea, but does it have a MIDI port? ;)

• Members

Roland of yore doesn't count. The topic is keyboards THESE DAYS. If we are allowed to trot out an endless list of stuff that used to be made well, I will just trump you all with this:

My 51 year old B-3.

Well, my Roland V-Synth GT is a "THESE DAYS" keyboard and is still well-made.:cop:

Archived