Damn, I opened Pandora's Box

r05c03

• Members

Background: With my synth rig I make music mostly via sequencing

Yeah so, awhile back (1.3 years ago) I decided that I was not going to use a computer as my sequencer. I have a Intel iMac, a suitable DAW interface and Logic Pro 7 so I certainly could have. But I came to the conclusion that I wanted to make music and not {censored} around with computer. Add to this was taking my first steps in real MIDI based and synth based music making, and I was just overwhelmed with the choices that Logic Pro offered. At that point I vowed that I would restrict myself to using my Machine Drum mkI as sequencer.

Just recently my band project has decided to record stuff in earnest, multi-tracking all. That responsibility falls on me. I have found the Time Clock on the MD to be to variable leading to major headaches. I was forced then to record the MIDI into Logic and recording using that. I am on my second song and....I love using a computer to control my rig...damn. I had hoped not to want to use a computer..

• Members

I am on my second song and....I love using a computer to control my rig...damn. I had hoped not to want to use a computer..

Congratulations; you've found out why purism in these matters is not of much use. This is also why you shouldn't listen to a bunch of dudes on the internets.

It's even worse when you think you could've been doing this all the time already; but by now you would've found the warts and idiosyncrasies.

• Members

So far I have managed to not use my computer for any aspect of home recording. Unless my Yamaha AW1600 qualifies as a computer. I actually bought that so I wouldn't have to use my computer for recording, so maybe I would spend a lot less time on the computer. Not that I won't ever use a computer for recording. It just hasn't happened yet.

• Members

I think what the issue really is for me know is that I realize and appreciate all the choices switching over to computer based sequencing. Before the myriad of choices was just confusing and confounding. The MD really limited me in many ways 3 note maximum for any step (3 note max arpeggios, for example), only 5 MIDI CC parameters for any one track, 16 tracks etc, and the fact that you you only so many slots to store sequences really makes you work hard to exploit every available slot to its full potential. It actually required some inventive work around solution to be thought of. It seem like now, if I went over to a computer anything that I want to do, I can do, that is cool but also does maybe something will suffer for it too. Hmm oh well, I do not have a lap top yet, so it is not like I will be using a computer too heavily....yet.

• Members

There was a long stretch where I used only my computer to make music (VSTi's , etc). Perhaps it was a 'lack of space' issue for my gear. Now that I have a proper office, I have found that the workflow on say, my MP7, is actually pretty good. I use it to control my M3 and EX5 and I am impressed with the pattern sequence ability of that box. However, the almost limitless effect routing on a computer is really awesome. :)

• Members

So far I have managed to not use my computer for any aspect of home recording. Unless my Yamaha AW1600 qualifies as a computer. I actually bought that so I wouldn't have to use my computer for recording, so maybe I would spend a lot less time on the computer. Not that I won't ever use a computer for recording. It just hasn't happened yet.

I got a Korg D1600 several years back, because I thought it would be much less hassle than using a computer. For just plug-in, record, playback, it is a bit simpler. But for doing any editing - forget it. :lol:

After being used to a computer, I found it far too limiting. But I still keep it around.

Archived