Sampling

saucyml

• Members

I have a Roland RD-700SX. I'm trying to figure out a way to trigger samples for a live performance. Ideally I'd like to load samples onto the RD-700SX and trigger them live on the keyboard. But I'm not sure if you can load samples onto this keyboard. So, barring this what's the easiest way to do this? Use a laptop? Or a dedicated sampler? I need to capture the samples, and then trigger them live.

• Members

Thanks. Have you heard good things about the SP-404? The reviews on Harmony Central make it sound like it's more for become the next Dr. Dre. I'm just looking for something really simple to a) Capture live samples, b) transfer wav files to from a Mac c) Play samples live with the touch of a button.

• Members

That's exactly what it does. Synthesizers and samplers do not care if they're used for hiphop or techno or country music. The SP-404 is simple and straightforward in the sense that every sample goes under one pad; more complex samplers have stuff like velocity and key zones.

Software (which can be had for free) can be used to cut parts out of recordings or mp3 files. Simply copy those files to your flash memory card and put that in the SP. Done.

Archived