Ableton computer issues

lliw88

• Members

Hi, I am using Ableton live and having some issues with my computer freezing and going spastic.

For Example:

Tonight I had 4 loops going in session view.

1. Impulse drum track with a couple of samples playing a simple drum track.

2. Bass track with a bass preset from

• Members

I'm going to have to second the new laptop suggestion. I mean, you're running with a five year old computer. It's had a good run, but it's time to seriously think about upgrading.

Today's computers, even the bargain basement ones, are quite a bit more powerful than what you're running now. Anything with a Core 2 Duo would blow what you're running away.

• Members

With a celeron, your laptop wasn't exactly blazing fast when it came out 5 years ago. What you are experiencing is normal for those specs.

You can use some different, less CPU-intensive plugins. Synth1 is really CPU-friendly for all of your synth stuff. The tracks with sidechain compression and all that {censored} you'll just need to print.

It is very much possible to still make music with that laptop, but you won't be able to load up instrument presets from live without consideration for their processor load. If you want to work like that, find a copy of Reason 2, that will probably run fine on that laptop.

• Members

what's everything else?

try freezing the tracks in ableton, that may help.

Everything else = firefox, some engineering apps etc....but yeah I think its time for a new one then.

Whats the chances of getting the problems I got with say a Core 2 duo 2.2 Ghz?

Thanks for the help.

• Members

Whats the chances of getting the problems I got with say a Core 2 duo 2.2 Ghz?

uhh, zero? :D even my single-core 2.2gHz could get pretty respectable results running Live w/ a number of VSTs and fx. you'll still top out at some point, but you'll be far better off than with the Celeron.

• Members

have you tried the various cpu saving methods? i.e. turning off operator antialiasing & interpolation, reducing sample rate, using economic mode for the effects that support it, etc?

Also try freezing tracks. Analog is a huge cpu hog i'd freeze that one asap

I'd say the freezing of the computer is probably due to heat also. try making sure the cooling fans are working well (dust them out with air duster?) and you've got the laptop on a hard surface that will absorb heat and not block airflow.

As others have said though, a five year old celeron is definitely going to struggle with audio!

• Members

Thanks for the advice. But it could be time for a new one.

So whats the go with Vista? and windows 7? is that what you guys use?

Every nerd I talk to says vista is sh*t...XP better, even my company uses XP on our engineering computers.

• Members

Audio hardware manufacturers have been known to drag their heels in the move to Vista.

Your company uses XP because it does not make sense to upgrade when everything's working as it should. XP 64-bits is an evolutionary dead end, though.

Windows 7 is pretty pleasant as an OS. I've got it running here. All that's missing are useful drivers for my 1212m which crackles and can't deal with 2 applications playing back audio at the same time for some idiotic reason. Oh yeah, and Winamp was dropped on the head (I use this so my foobar2000 playlists isn't cleaned out every time I want to play back an MP3 and I really don't like Media Player for this job because it's even more bulky).

Anyway, it's the software that determines what OS you should run, so you might even take a look at the Mac route.

• Members

Hello people.

I found an good deal today on an Acer 6930G, 2.66GHz Centrino core 2 duo processor (T9550), 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD.

Its $1200 AUD (down from $1800AUD).

I'll probably buy it tomorrow.

I assume this spec should be fine? Anyone had any experience with Acer?

Archived