Tweaking Patches to match songs for cover band

saucyml

• Members

I have a Roland RD-700SX. The basic collection of patches sounds the same as all of the Roland products. I'm wondering, is anyone aware of a forum somewhere where people share tweaks made to the patches to match popular songs for use in a cover band? For example, let's say I want to play the solo on Tom Sawyer . . . somewhere where you could post this and people will respond with "use patch #48 and increase the attack by 4, etc."

• Members

My experience with playing covers is this. Just get close. And, make sure you nail the familiar riffs, ESPECIALLY intros and outros. The audience is listening for these....sometimes.

I used to try and get an exact match, only to find 1) It gets buried in the mix and 2)Joe Beer Drinker doesn't know the difference.

• Members

My experience with playing covers is this. Just get close. And, make sure you nail the familiar riffs, ESPECIALLY intros and outros. The audience is listening for these....sometimes.

I used to try and get an exact match, only to find 1) It gets buried in the mix and 2)Joe Beer Drinker doesn't know the difference.

Augerinn's advice is dead nutz on! Play the riff - THAT is important. Matching the original patch sound? Not so much - if at all. I can't tell you how many times I've tweaked a voicing for hours - only to abandon it a couple of measures into the song because when used live that - whispy, airy, shimmery, patch that you slaved for hours over a hot synthesizer to get just right vanishes like a fart in the wind when the rest of the band joins in.

Play the riff - find a patch that works even if it sounds nothing like the patch that was on the original.

Archived