Roland VK-8 as midi controller

Count Dissident

• Members

Hi, I am a noob when it comes to midi and keyboards and I have read the sticky along with using the search,but I haven't found anything that answers my question. It could be because I don't know midi terminology very well,so forgive me if this question has been covered.

I am trying to use a Roland VK-8 as a midi controller for VSTi and Soundfonts. I realize this keyboard is not really meant to be a midi controller,but for the most part it works for my needs. The problem I am having is that if I release a key to quickly or harshly the midi will sound a second note upon release. I'm not sure if this is a velocity setting or something,but is it possible to correct this problem?

Thanks!

-Count

• Members

The VK-8 has a light touch waterfall keybed that is designed for organ technique. It is not meant to be hit hard. What your are getting is bounce. In some organ solos the effect you are seing is desirable, on an organ. Not so much on a synth. While it will provide note on, note off, cc7 volume, and cc11 expression midi output signals, it is not really designed for what you are doing. There is no mod wheel, pitch wheel, aftertouch, and it is not velocity sensitive so you are limited on what you can do controling outside sources. This is not the correct board for controling other modules. If you need to keep using it, you need to tread lightly and be very deliberate or you will continue to experience this issue.

Good luck.

Rick

Archived