Question for So. Calif. locals

• Members

Sorry to say, but IMO the SP-250 is a piece of crap. It is really outdated and korg has never been known for their acoustic piano sounds.

Look into getting a Privia or Yamaha. They will blow the SP out of the water and will probably be cheaper. If you really want a Korg and want good piano you will want to pony up for an M50 88 but that is overkill for your needs.

• Members

Sorry to say, but IMO the SP-250 is a piece of crap. It is really outdated and korg has never been known for their acoustic piano sounds.

Look into getting a Privia or Yamaha. They will blow the SP out of the water and will probably be cheaper. If you really want a Korg and want good piano you will want to pony up for an M50 88 but that is overkill for your needs.

First off, I forgot to say that I already tried asking Korg's customer support. Their answer was that they had "no idea" if any LA dealer had an sp250 on display.

What makes me want to try the Korg SP250 is that I read that Yamaha supplies the keyboard mechanism for Korg and it is Yamaha's top of the line GH3. If true, the SP250 would be the lowest price "graded hammer effect" keyboard out there.

I may end of with a Yamaha but I still want to try an SP-250

• Members

I have a CP300 and I am pretty sure that the SP250 does not share the same keybed. Even if it does you will get no joy out of playing it with the internal sounds, it will only be good as a midi controller.

Look at the Casio Privia 120 and 320/330. These have great action and incredible piano sound for the price. You may also want to look at the Yamaha p80 or p70 but the casios really win hands down in this budget piano category.

As for where to try a 250 I cannot help you... but the fact that it is discontinued should hint that it is really out of date.

• Members

What makes me want to try the Korg SP250 is that I read that Yamaha supplies the keyboard mechanism for Korg and it is Yamaha's top of the line GH3. If true, the SP250 would be the lowest price "graded hammer effect" keyboard out there.

No, the SP-250 is Korg's own action called a RH-3. Yamaha used to sell Korg keyboard actions, but that stopped a few years ago.

Archived