Opinions wanted on my next keyboard purchase!

ashtray

• Members

Ok... first, I did a search. It helped a slight amount (the thread comparing "toys" to professional level instruments was a good start). Here's my background and needs from a board:

I'm a guitarist (no wait, keep reading!) in a classic rock/pop band. For some songs I'll be playing keys, and thus my need for opinions.

I have a Korg digital piano for home use. ($3k new, big & heavy & staying at home)

I used my friend's Casio 76 keyboard at practice only to have the band stop playing and the other guitarist turn to me and say "that sounds like a toy piano - you're killing the song!". And he was right - the sounds from the cheap Casio were pretty terrible.

So... I went out and bought a Yamaha KX61 USB/Midi Controller. Hooked that up to a Yamaha MU-5 sound module, which was quick/easy plug in and get sounds. However, the only output on the MU-5 is a 1/8th in headphones out, and the gain level is pathetic (won't drive an instrument amp without a boost). [btw- I attempted to use the Cubase that came with the KX61 - and well, let's just say it made me feel pretty stupid. when I finally got it all working, the delay between playing the note and the sound coming out was way too much.]

The Yamaha sound module sounds good, and the controller has a great feel to it. But it's not a quick setup, and there's no functions on the controller to change sounds, volume, etc. Just not an ideal setup.

So... I went to Guitar Center, and they weren't much help. They had expensive keyboards/synths that did a ton of things, I couldn't figure out how to even get a simple piano sound out of, and were super expensive. Then they had cheap Casios that sounded poor.

I tried out a Korg X50 - which had great tones, but again, I couldn't figure out how to just get a simple instrument tone out of without a ton of other things happening. Too complicated for me.

Here's what I need:

Easy To Use (like the cheap keyboards where you can select an instrument and go, no need to program stuff or edit)

Professional Sounds (piano, electric piano, strings, B3, and synth lead)

61 keys

Price range $200-400 (used is fine)

All in one unit (just hook up to an amp and play)

Ideas???

• Members

You can probably get the latency (delay) down quite a bit by making some adjustments to your soundcard's settings, but at this point, it sounds like a dedicated board would be better for you.

I suppose the usual suspects apply - used: Roland XP-30, Alesis QS6, Yamaha S03, and so on.

• Members

How do the Roland boards from the 90s compare to my needs? I've found stuff like a D-50, U-20, and so on in the classifieds.

Also, I read on HC reviews that the Alesis QS6 didn't have good piano tones. Is this true? (hey, if they compare to my Yamaha, that's fine by me!)

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks for your insight - forgot to mention I have a room full of guitar/bass/other equipment, and the band has a couple of full PA systems ("decent" (Mackie/JBL) $2k large system, and a cheaper small setup for practices).

For sake of convience, I'm using an old Polytone amp - but that's just for practices. At a gig, I'll probably use a small amp for a monitor and run to the PA for FOH.

• Members

I was in the same position you were in a year ago...I play in a top 40 rock, pop party band. I bought a Casio CTK 810 for around $250 they discontinued that model in favor of the CTK 900 which is i believe a step up from the 810 and is only a little bit more. I love the 810 it has all of the basic sounds (pianos organs, sawleads, guitar and bass, 100 beats/ loops, and has the ability to layer, split and layer/split simoultaneously. I play it through a yamaha mixing console with a separate output for the direct box out to the FOH and run it through an acoustic AB50 acoustic Bass Amp it works great.

• Members

How do the Roland boards from the 90s compare to my needs? I've found stuff like a D-50, U-20, and so on in the classifieds.

Skip the U20. The D50 is for other things; not much in the way of realism.

Check the JV expansion boards and the JV-2080 for the more modern Roland sounds. You'll even find the QS on the site.

• Members

MM6 looks nice. Hope it's easy to use. Found a QS6 locally for 2 bills that leaves more in my budget for other things though. In the end, it's probably going to come down to what I can find for a decent price in the local Craigslist...

Yoozer - thanks for steering me away from the U-20 or D-50. My problem is I don't know if these are "right" for me until I go to try them out in person - which makes it tough to narrow down my choices! Getting some user knowledge of this stuff to see if they're a good fit for my needs is exactly what guidance I need. ;)

• Members

$200-$400 isn't alot to spend on a general rompler than needs minimal programing, but there are some jewels to be had if you're willing to go used.

First... don't bother with the D-50 or U20's you see on Craigslist. They are fine boards for what they are, however, they'll be pretty limited in what they have to offer. The same goes for Casio's, Yamaha's in the consumer keyboard range. Some offer decent sounds... but in the end are they really gig/roady worthy?

I back the suggestions above for the Yamaha MM6. Although I'm not very fond of the build quality it will offer everything you need in terms of sounds. You may be able to find a used Triton LE somewhere for $400. Again, build quality is so so, but the sounds are decent to excellent. The X50 is in the same category. Used Tritons Classics on the other hand, are real workhorses and if you found one for $400 'd snag it in a second. Built like tanks!! I see used Korg M1's go for $400 sll the time. An exceptional workstation in it's day, but beware... these days they sound extremely dated.

Alesis Q6's lurk in the $250-$300 range and they are a great bread n butter sound set. Not sure who told you the Alesis's piano was terrible. If anything it was the ONE sound they were noted for on those boards. My favorite choice in the $400 range is the Roland XP 30. They usually ebay for bit higher but I've seen some sell for $350. A steal if you ask me. Over 1458 sounds, 3 seperate JV expansion cards, plus room for two more. Decent pianos, excellent synth and the best brass I've heard on any rompler for a live situation. The live controls are extremely useful with octave/key transpose, effects on/off, mono/poly, and filter and modulation controls at your fingertips. No digging into menus to set things up on the fly. Most everything is in front of you. Built like a tank (mine has seen over 500 shows). It gets my endorsement for best synth under $500.

Good luck.

• Members

I have to repeat what the other forumites have already mentioned... I don't think the U-20 or the D-50 would be right for you... (even though the U-20 has still a nice piano sound)

I haven't tested these myself yet, but they seem to be built for your type of situation: M-Audio ProKeys 88 SX digital piano - They sell on eBay new for $299

They have audio demos at the page here below (on the right side of the screen):

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88sx.html

basically you have very solid, "bread and butter" sounds: acoustic piano, electric piano, Clavinet, organ and a few more. Basically all you need for a guitar band -

and they seem of good quality, and most of all - easy to use. The keybed and general built might not be as high-quality as -say - a $4,000 Kurzweil, but it's something you can used to. In the end, you're looking for good sounds and ease of use

If you don't need the 88-key version, this is a 61-key model:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeysSono61.html

Edit.. this model has strings :

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeysSono88.html

They also have videos of all these keyboards... just go to the m-audio site..

---

• Members

If you don't need the 88-key version, this is a 61-key model:

Edit.. this model has strings :

They also have videos of all these keyboards... just go to the m-audio site..

---

I'm a little confused (go figure...) - the description for the Sono61 says instant access to 5 sounds, and then mentions access to 128 General Midi sounds on board? So... if I plug this thing by itself with a pair of headphones, what tones can I play? Just the 5, or the GM ones as well? I don't understand what the difference is....?

Archived