does making drum machines sound "real" make it sound even more fake?

samal50

• Members

any else notice this? do you use real time ot step programming? how do I make drum machines sound believable, by programming it as a drum machine and avoiding to attempt to make it sound like real drums are being played (which in turn actually sound a lot more fake)?

• Members

The Battery 3 manual has some nice notes on this:

- forget randomization in velocity

- forget randomization in quantizing

In other words, drum like an actual drummer and put accents on the notes instead of just varying the velocity, and play notes not exactly on the beat - but on/off beat should should not be completely random either.

Try a Roland SPD pad controller or something; things generally change for the better when you don't have to click or play keys to get things done.

• Members

what do you mean believable?

if you want to use a drum machine, but want folks to believe it is a real drummer, then you're gonna have to layer some sounds IMO. even the most 'organic' timing in the world won't make a brilliantly programmed 808 pattern sound like a real drummer on a set.

• Members

any else notice this? do you use real time ot step programming? how do I make drum machines sound believable, by programming it as a drum machine and avoiding to attempt to make it sound like real drums are being played (which in turn actually sound a lot more fake)?

This depends on what you are using for your drum machine/

how well your technique is when playing the parts?

The better the sample sound quality, the more believable it will sound.

Personally I'd not want to use a drum machine for this purpose because they are definitely limited in sample data...

Have you looked into a VSTi, such as addictive drums?

Or Steve Slate drums...

These kits are real kits.

Playing them correctly will fool most people.

• Members

What you are asking is a contradiction. You want to know how to make drums sound more believable without using techniques to make drums sound more believable.

Archived