If I were to get an old Ensoniq, which is the best?

mmm

• Members

Hi guys! I`ve been wanting to get an old Esq-1, Sd-1, Vfx or Vfx-sd. Mainly because I`ve never had an Ensoniq:). A Fizmo is just too expensive and I dont need a sampler (Eps-Asr...).

Which one would you guys recommend?

Yours, mmm

• Members

With the samplers (and I guess with the TS10/12 series) you can make your own transwaves. Otherwise, what's the point of an old ensoniq? the asr-x lets you do your own transwaves + filters too.

the esq-1/sq-80 is kind of cool too, if you want an old semi-analog with lots of mod routings.

if you're just looking to add an 'ensoniq' nameplate to your studio... try a DP/4. they are lots of fun.

• Members

Thanks so much guys!

I just found a Vfx-sd for sale and its real cheap! I didnt consider the TS series, but the TS-10 looks really cool. I`m mainly getting an Ensoniq for those big, 80,s American sounds:) Hehehe. Maybe I`ll pick up the vfx and lokk for a TS later, that sounds logical to me (the more keyboards, the better;))

mmm

• Members

i would actually love to get a zr-76 + mr-flash one day (if i could even find an mr-flash card). the keybed on that thing is heaven. but it's definitely way too expensive for an ensoniq 'just because'
:)

Yeah, I have both and I love the sound they make.

Although I need to get rid of both.

• Members

Don Solaris' review of the TS-10 made me GAS and finally break down and get one. It has it's own libraries plus it opens files from EPS and ASR samplers (countless samples available from hiphop history and tons of other stuff). Plus you can combine samples into transwaves (sorry Fizmo)! It's very cool and well built. The factory library is huge and very good.

• Members

+1 on the VFX-SD. I've been using the heck out of mine for years and finally put it away after hundreds of gigs in favor of a computer. It's a simple and fast workstation with all the necessary features, and it's an amazing live/performance machine because of the ease of setting up splits, layers and sets of patches on one screen. The patch buttons are also very cool for performance and add another layer of control when playing live. I also love messing with the effects live. They are very easy to access through the menu system and you can go nuts with the data slider and buttons to tweak your sound. It's a great board, especially with a drum machine - one of my favorite hints is to use the VFX keyboard and built-in sequencer to sequence the drum machine sounds via MIDI.

If you're getting it for really cheap, ask about the keyboard. There is a problem with a lot of VFX's where a defect in the keyboard circuit board connection causes the synth not to calibrate. The proper fix, even according to my keyboard repair tech, is to press down firmly on the upper and lower octaves on the keyboard with the palms of both hands. This works great until it doesn't. Mine still works and I've been using this fix for years. If possible, try before you buy. Otherwise, this synth is a monster songwriting machine and one of the best values on the market IMHO.

If you can find an SD-1, it is basically the more modern version of the VFX-SD that addressed all of the issues that plagued the earlier synth. I've never played one, but that is what's on the Google.

• Members

I recently saw my old EPS in a re-sale shop here for $150 (USD). :eek:

I think I paid about $1,600 for it new around 1988 or so. Kept it in immaculate shape for about 10 years before I traded it in, and when I tried it out again, it still looked and felt pretty good.

I just bring it up, even though you say you don't want a sampler, because it has polyphonic aftertouch, which is something a fair amount of people look for.

I should probably buy it back again just for that. :lol:

• Members

+1 on the TS series. I had a VFX-SD, and wifee number three had a SD-1. The TS gives you all that PLUS, as KingVidiot said, the ability to load in the samples from the EPS/ASR. Trying the VFX-SD for cheap to see if you gel with it is a good idea, but ultimately I think you'll like the TS even more. It has Polyphonic Aftertouch and the Patch Select Buttons as well IIRC. Seems like TS-10 was 61 note and TS-12 was 76-note, or maybe TS-12 was 88? Hell I'm not sure and I need to go to bed anyway! Goodnight all!

• Members

I second the ESQ1 or SQ80 choice. They sound amazing.

ESQ-1 is fairly nice.

Or you could get the free SQ8L VST

I had both ESQ1 and the SQ8L softie at the same time. There's no comparison between the two. The way SQ8L changes the pitch of the waveforms when you go up the keyboard is a joke.

• Members

I second the ESQ1 or SQ80 choice. They sound amazing.

I had both ESQ1 and the SQ8L softie at the same time. There's no comparison between the two. The way SQ8L changes the pitch of the waveforms when you go up the keyboard is a joke.

The SQ8L is no joke. I have tried both the SQ8L and my ESQM side by side with the same patches and they are very close. The filter is not exactly the same but apart from that it is probable the best software clone of any synth. Stating that, I still keep my ESQM.

• Members

My grime with the SQ8L is that it sounds as if they took way too few samples of different pitches. If you sample a single note of a choir and play it across the 61 keys keyboard it will sound like a joke. That's what SQ8L sounds like to me when compared to ESQ1, filters aside.

• Members

I own a VSX-SD version 2 and would suggest an SD-1 which eliminates several of the prior problems of the VSX series.

Keep in mind if you get something later than the SD-1 you will be plagued by a smaller LED display screen. I was told by Ensoniq that unfortunately the maker of those wonderful huge screens went bust, and Ensoniq was forced to go to a much smaller display screen for the MR series and the TS series.

In my world, the amount of info on a display screen is important.

If you end up with a VX, there were a few common problems as mentioned above, but have common fixes as well.

Archived