Busker or Fake Books ?

Organ_Eyes

• Members

Further Felicitations Fellow Forumeers,

I have just come out of another thread I started querying the value of being able to 'sight read' sheet music, and whether learning Music Theory etc., is a good thing. Sight Reading from Sheet Music is a bit more difficult for those of us who play the organ, as we have THREE Staves - Right Hand (Treble Clef), Left Hand Bass Clef, and another one (Bass Clef), for us to twinkle our toes on the pedal board.

Like many beginners, (after 50 years as a 'pro' and after lessons for many years, etc), I came to the point - I can't remember exactly when! - where I was playing from Sheet Music, also playing from memory of the Sheet Music, By 'Ear', as well as using 'Fake' or 'Busker' Music Books, which lately, I have been using more and more.

With just a single note lead, and the names of the Chords, I now don't have to play it just like that (with a one finger right hand !), I can work away from the book, playing chords, and leads with my right hand, Chorded Rhythm's and Arpeggios, etc with my left, and I also have the 'Root' note for the pedal accompaniment, with these books, I find, there is much more freedom to interpret the song, and 'Make it Your Own', than the stiff structure of Sheet Music..

Not in contact at all, really with other musicians for years - as I have always worked on my own - sometimes with a drummer (when I was still on my own!, but giving a half of my fee away!) - I have never discussed how other players use Busker (Fake) Books, and whether other Muso's work with them as I do?

May I play an example for you? Straight from a 'Fake Book' with a lead from my headphone socket to the Laptop, which is how I record my music!

Your opinions, observations, comments etc., should make an interesting thread !

Have a great weekend,

John

• Members

I mainly reproduce by ear, but if it's too complex or I'm being impatient, I will use "fake books" - that is, the melody is written note by note for the right hand, but the left has been simplified and shows the names of the chords for the left instead of the full LH part (which I've always had more problems following :D ) I wish I had more time to learn how to read music properly...

Btw, great one by Ruggero Leoncavallo and great interpretation! Love the right-hand twirls. Italian being my mother tongue.. may I point out that.... "La Mattinata" is written with two "T"s

• Members

Hi 'mildbill' - spot on!,

'Sounds like corny old man music'

. I really am a 'corny old man'. That is - Yes!, I need a visit to the chiropodists, and yes, I am 74.

I bet the ladies like it after a few drinks though.

As far as the ladies are concerned, I was single, up until 2001, due to a restless nature, and I travelled the world with a 500 pound (quarter ton) organ on my back, and was never short! (I am over 6ft!), and don't think I ever took advantage of a lady who was inebriated!

. However, all this is really off topic, and I was hoping for some sensible discussion, on 'Fake Books' and the use of same, not comments on my choice of music to illustrate the use of a 'Fake' book.

Paolo, thank you for your kind comments. I have amended the title.

Kindest regards to all,

John

• Members

I gave all the fake books that belonged to my father away to an older friend. My dad played organ, piano , bass and reed instruments. back in the day with rock and roll ,, there were no fake books. Today I have a pretty good catalog of rock and country stuff i grabbed off the net.

• Members

I have a bunch of fake books (melody, lyrics and chords) and find that it's one of the most compact ways of communicating the essentials of most songs.

I like that having just the chords notated lets me choose how I play the song where notation seems rather to dictate the notes. I like having fakebooks around, though they have weaknesses that aren't necessarily obvious:

1) they rarely include the verse of older songs

2) the notated chords serve more purposes than they should--particularly they are often used to suggest bass and inner voice movement, which forces you to think much too hard in order to extract their 'real' meaning

3) they tend to include many chords than are not essential to the song, meaning that you'll have the structurally necessary chord and then, often, a flurry of chords that are really just a (often very dated) turnaround that's either discretionary or a bad idea. [sometimes, they're pretty important to the period 'feel' of the song, though.] Fakebooks do not differentiate between these classes of chord, so it can be difficult to see the forest for the trees, so to speak. In my own collection, I print discressionary/passing chords in grey and the structural chords dark red (prints black). Suddenly the piece becomes much simple and makes better sense.

Here's an example done, I think, right (if it was dead easy, I'd put in the melody, but it isn't so I don't):

1) The verse is there--isn't in the fakebook

2) the grey chords tell the story of three voices starting as a descending diminished triad in the upper voices and the bass playing C and then G; it's fine, but it's not essential--you may have a better idea

3) the dark red chords show the structure--the essential chords--which, once you know the period conventions, isn't any more complicated than the average country song

avalon.pdf

• Members

I have a pretty good selection of fake books. Sometimes I use them to practice out of. I have also found that when studying music it is always a good idea to have some actual tunes to play along with the short musical examples that are in most music method books. You can take the concepts that you learn and apply them to tunes that are in those books.

Also, I play music full time. This pretty much requires that I play with lots of different people in lots of different bands in a lot of musical situations. This usually means playing a very wide variety of music. And this sometimes means playing tunes that are in the fake books.

One of my gigs is hosting a Thursday night jam session. I am in the house band. People sign a list and come up to sing and/or play with the band. Sometimes we play tunes we have never played before individually or together. We encourage folks to bring sheet music. If we have not played the tune before we can play it if we have some music in front of us.

• Members

I have a pretty good selection of fake books. Sometimes I use them to practice out of. I have also found that when studying music it is always a good idea to have some actual tunes to play along with the short musical examples that are in most music method books. You can take the concepts that you learn and apply them to tunes that are in those books.

Also, I play music full time. This pretty much requires that I play with lots of different people in lots of different bands in a lot of musical situations. This usually means playing a very wide variety of music. And this sometimes means playing tunes that are in the fake books.

One of my gigs is hosting a Thursday night jam session. I am in the house band. People sign a list and come up to sing and/or play with the band. Sometimes we play tunes we have never played before individually or together. We encourage folks to bring sheet music. If we have not played the tune before we can play it if we have some music in front of us.

Its always fun to play a song where one guy knows it, a couple more have heard it,, and two are pretty much clueless. You get what key its in. Pro am garage rock.

• Members

at some point, if we live long enough, we'll all play corny old man music

(except me)

Ya - I was only kidding him, but he seems like the kind of guy who can take a joke.

I don't play gigs, have a few fake books that I use sometimes, but usually improvise or struggle through stuff that's fully written out.

• Members

Its always fun to play a song where one guy knows it, a couple more have heard it,, and two are pretty much clueless. You get what key its in. Pro am garage rock.

Sort of, I reckon. I and the rest of the house band make a living playing music. And we get paid to host that jam session. Otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. So far nobody has brought sheet music for rock, country, or blues. When somebody does bring a chart it is usually a standard out of the Real Book.

• Members

Sort of, I reckon. I and the rest of the house band make a living playing music. And we get paid to host that jam session. Otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. So far nobody has brought sheet music for rock, country, or blues. When somebody does bring a chart it is usually a standard out of the Real Book.

If you are a pro and are as old as you are ,, you prolly know most songs. Pretty much all jam nights end up as pro-am deals unless you dont let anyone up to play. we aways did the first set,,, then things got into jam mode with guests . We would have workin pros sit in and amateurs that have played in bands. Was it always perfect ,, na ,, did it pack the place every week, OH yea. Its a fine line between keeping things not so tight assed that its not fun for people and having things turn into a cluster roar. It takes a special kind of pro to host a good jam night.... we had a great guy running this one. Our house starting line up sounded good. I guess like anything your milage will vary. Some guys make a living with their music ,, and some guys do it because they have the ability to play, but dont or cant have the commitment to a living in music or even a working band. Lots of those guys are comming out of the woodwork since they have retired from other careers. The 60s had a ton of people who played in bands when they were young and moved on to careers and family. Jam nights are a good place for those guys to network ,, do a little playing and have some fun. real books have gotten much better over the years ,,, back in the day most rock music books were really crappy as far as accuracy.

• Members

Ya - I was only kidding him, but he seems like the kind of guy who can take a joke.

Spot on !! I love a bit of 'banter' back and forth, and laughter is the best thing for the chuckle muscles. Otherwise, at my age, I would have become the typical 'Grumpy Old Fart'. :lol:

Cheers,

John

• Members

If you are a pro and are as old as you are ,, you prolly know most songs. Pretty much all jam nights end up as pro-am deals unless you dont let anyone up to play. we aways did the first set,,, then things got into jam mode with guests . We would have workin pros sit in and amateurs that have played in bands. Was it always perfect ,, na ,, did it pack the place every week, OH yea. Its a fine line between keeping things not so tight assed that its not fun for people and having things turn into a cluster roar. It takes a special kind of pro to host a good jam night.... we had a great guy running this one. Our house starting line up sounded good. I guess like anything your milage will vary. Some guys make a living with their music ,, and some guys do it because they have the ability to play, but dont or cant have the commitment to a living in music or even a working band. Lots of those guys are comming out of the woodwork since they have retired from other careers. The 60s had a ton of people who played in bands when they were young and moved on to careers and family. Jam nights are a good place for those guys to network ,, do a little playing and have some fun. real books have gotten much better over the years ,,, back in the day most rock music books were really crappy as far as accuracy.

That's pretty much how it is. The drummer that does the Thursday night jam with us actually either hosts or plays in the host band for jams three nights a week. All three of us in the Thursday night band are skilled experienced professional musicians who gig regularly. Most of the cats who sit in are amateurs who do not play gigs and are generally pretty unskilled.

• Members

Hi Guys,

I have posted this Vid, I made recently, elsewhere in another thread on this Forum, but perhaps illustrates better my position, 'Fake Book-wise'.

Here I am 'Dressed for the occasion' playing some music, as played by a talented pianist in the 30's and 40's in Charlie Kunz typical 'Laid back Lounge Lizard' style, that I try to copy, but have used 'Fake Book' Chording and 'Leads' to work away from !

Hope this makes sense.

John

Archived