Can anyone answer this Korg keybed question?

• Members

Hi,

recently tried a Korg X3 and was impressed with the keybed. Far more solid than recent budget models like X50 and Triton Le.

I just wondered what other older Korg keyboards have a similar action to the X3? I'm know the M1 has a good action and I know the X5 and N5 have cheaper actions.

Particularly, I'd like to know about the 01wfd. Does it have a good keybed in your opinion? Secondly, does the 01wfd have a General Midi soundset onboard?

Thanks

• Members

Older Korgs tend to use licensed Yamaha keybeds (due to Korgs previous relationship with Yamaha) so it's probably the Yamaha-FS keybed. On later budget keys (Le, Karma) they use a Fatar action. A few years back IIRC Korg bought a production plant which made keyboards, so recent synths probably use their own, unique to Korg, keys mostly now..

• Members

As far as I know, 01/W(fd) doesn't have GM soundset.

Originally 01W/FD didn't have GM set, but during the production GM set was generated for this model by Korg itself I think. It was circulated on the 3,5 inch diskettes.

It's true, it needed to increase the number of programs per bank from originally 100 to 128. This model was followed for their later rack synth 03/RW, somewhat stripped down version of 01/RW (rack version of 01W(fd)).

This is my 100th post :)

Archived