The Smallest Possible Amp for Quiet Jams w/ Keys

ggm1960

• Members

The wife and I seem to do a fair amount of traveling and tend to stay in hotel rooms. It's fairly simple for me to pack my Taylor T5 for some low volume guitar but the keys are always more of a hassle because all of my boards require an amp. What is the smallest and lightest amp a person could get for playing keys?

• Members
you could prolly use something like a bluetooth speaker with an aux in. there's a lot to choose from.

That is a good suggestion, the Bose bluetooth speaker I already have works well with ipad/phone but I don't believe it has aux ins, I'll have to check.

Otherwise poking around amazon I found this little Roland that is less than 7lbs, really looks like a good possible option...

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-Mobile-Battery-Powered-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B001CQ8VJS/ref=pd_cart_vw_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001CQ8VJS&pd_rd_r=70Q33X4KSZZSXBXYQF9Y&pd_rd_w=OwhDE&pd_rd_wg=yuKjE&psc=1&refRID=70Q33X4KSZZSXBXYQF9Y

• Members

I have one of these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLoud--ik-multimedia-iloud-40w-portable-personal-speaker-with-irig-input It sounds really good and I use it for lots things it really is very useful. It has 1/4 inch mono plus a stereo 1/8 inch input. So I have used it as a portable amp, a reference monitor when mixing and playing music in the house or at the beach streamed from my phone. When I record a track, I always listen to it from multiple speakers as a sanity check. I turn on bluetooth on my mac and stream the track from my DAW to the iLoud.

• Members
I have one of these https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLoud--ik-multimedia-iloud-40w-portable-personal-speaker-with-irig-input It sounds really good and I use it for lots things it really is very useful.

Oh yeah, I like IK Multimedia stuff! I've had/have a lot of their software and several of their great little iRig type devices. This looks like a great unit and the size/weight is definitely right! I'm gonna have to give it some thought, it's more expensive than some of the other things I'm looking at and I'm not sure I want to pay the extra dough to get bluetooth connectivity when I've got a decent bluetooth speaker already, hmmmmm. If it had a couple more 1/4" jacks that would possibly push it over the edge for me, it looks like a real nice piece of gear!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
JBL EON 610

We recently bought the JBL EON One Pro "stick" P.A. unit and it works well for us; we've used it for practicing at home, playing at some house party type gigs and just this weekend we used it to jam at my 40 year high school reunion with two mics, Taylor T5 guitar and Privia PX-3 keyboard all plugged in.

The 610 would certainly be a great unit but at 26lbs I'm still thinking something lighter to carry into a small room where we need to be rather quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
a small powered speaker with a mixer would like like an easy solution..like a Mackie DLM8' date=' which has its own built in mixer...and weighs 22lbs...plus more power than you need, it can be used to scale up as a PA cab.[/quote']

Wait.......? 2000 watts w/ an 8" speaker?? That just seems crazy! There only appears to be two channels and it's heavier than what I'd like, I think our JBL EON has us covered in this territory. Super small and super light, I'm still leaning towards the Roland mobile cube.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived