Could use a little help re: Native Instruments (tech and business)

• Members

This is a simple but long tale. If you make it through, I really appreciate it because I'm pretty frustrated right now. I will try to break it down into simple chunks.

1. Last year, I bought a Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard. I then upgraded the Komplete Select software to Komplete 11, and I was super happy.

2. The one thing that did bother me was the lack of physical pitch and mod wheels. So I was delighted that mk2 came out this year with pitch and mod wheels! I was a little less enthused to find out that they didn't have any upgrade path for the hardware, but I realized what a nightmare that would have been for the company.

3. So I thought I would wait until they started showing up on the used market. Fast forward to last week. A mint mk2 shows up on an auction site, and I snag it while also putting mine on the market. Both transactions go off without a hitch. Or so I thought.

4. First, I can't get the new keyboard to exit this mode that is sort of a store demo. It's basically a light show and the screens show examples of various screens.

5. In contacting NI about that issue and in the transferring of licenses, I found out that my upgrade from Select is tied to my original keyboard! NI's remedies are either don't sell it, just lose all of my Komplete licenses, or rebuy all the Komplete licenses.

6. Luckily, the guy who sold me his S61 mk2 did not use his Select license, so I contacted them to ask if I could transfer my upgrades to THAT Select license. No response at all.

Does ANYONE here have a contact at Native Instruments? Even a rep? This is not that complicated, but it's incredibly frustrating.

• Members

Quick update. After several communications with both NI Germany and NI Los Angeles, I've sorted out the issue of possibly losing my software. But work of warning: If you buy a hardware piece from them and you upgrade the software from the introductory stuff in the package, you cannot get rid of the hardware without also losing the upgrade UNLESS you buy a different hardware piece that also has that introductory hardware bundled.

And they still have not told me what to do about it being in perpetual "Vegas Mode". This thing is still a brick. I can't even get them to respond to a return authorization request.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Possibly final update. After numerous back and forth communications, they asked me to send them a video showing the issue. They then acknowledged the problem and sent me a shipping tag. They will repair or replace depending on severity. I hope it goes well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Final update, and it's very positive. I shipped them the unit, and they are shipping me a brand new replacement tomorrow. That's pretty good customer service considering I purchased it used (was still under warranty). So actually a great customer service outcome from Native Instruments. My only advice if you run into a similar situation is that it takes two days for a response through their support portal. No more, no less. So adjust expectations accordingly.

Archived