No announcement yet.

Nektar MIDI controllers?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nektar MIDI controllers?

Anyone used? Pros/cons? How did the keybed feel? What about quality in general? Considering one.

I reviewed the Nektar Impact GX49 not that long ago... here's a link to the review:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...oller-keyboard

Click image for larger version

Name:	impact-gx49-2-fa4a42d4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	32281073

My main concern is the lack of a 5-pin MIDI port, but if you don't need that (and you are using it in conjunction with a computer), they're nice, inexpensive controllers that work well.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Thx Phil; not sure why I'd need the 5-pin as there are inexpensive converter cables available. ? Definitely keep in mind. Be interested in any other thoughts/experiences you've had with MIDI controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by bill5 View Post
        Thx Phil; not sure why I'd need the 5-pin as there are inexpensive converter cables available.
        Yes, but those USB / 5-pin MIDI cables will only work with a computer - you can't connect one directly to the USB port on a Nektar keyboard.

IOW, the Nektar can't be used with an external hardware synth in a live situation - not without a USB-equipped computer in between it and the hardware synth, and not without a USB / 5-pin MIDI interface for the computer so it can communicate with the hardware synth.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I don't do live or external hardware so moot point. Thx. I might have to pass on the "synth" action though; hoping to find a good/true semi-weighted option.
          Last edited by bill5; 07-20-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Check out a Samson Graphite 49, it has a semi- weighted action, I have one. I also have a Nektar for integration for DAW I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Yes, but those USB / 5-pin MIDI cables will only work with a computer - you can't connect one directly to the USB port on a Nektar keyboard.
              Back to this, dummy question, not following........why couldn't I plug the USB end into the keyboard and 5-pin to my AI?

Comment

You used to need a computer to do USB to 5 pin midi. But that is no longer the case. There are devices that convert USB to 5 pin midi without the need for a PC or IOS/Android device. This one from McMillan is $60 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...xoCAqsQAvD_BwE

Another device is the Kenton USB host https://reverb.com/item/6173570-kent...QAvD_BwE&pla=1

Comment

Not sure we're talking the same thing. I'd just want to connect my MIDI keyboard to an AI (which then goes to the PC). Couldn't I just use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Cable-.../dp/B0017H4EBG

Comment

In that case you don't even need that cable. If by AI you mean 'audio interface'. You would take the USB from BOTH the nectar controller and the interface and plug them into your computer assuming your PC has 2 available USB ports. Then assuming your AI has 5 pin midi also, you would need to select which midi interface you want to use in your application (DAW or Standalone Plugin) settings.

For example I use an Roland FA-08 in my home studio with a Roland Duo Capture interface. There are 2 ways I can connect. I can plug the FA-08 into the Duo Capture via 5 pin midi and the USB from the Duo Capture into my Mac Book. Or as I currently do, I just plug both into the laptop via USB cables.
                    Last edited by kbeaumont; 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

OK I'll slap my forehead later, but not getting that at all either. Why would I plug both into my PC? And if I plug the keyboard in direct to the PC, wouldn't I lose the benefit of the superior sound card of the AI, which is the point of having it in the first place (regarding the keyboard that is)?

Comment

Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
                        Check out a Samson Graphite 49, it has a semi- weighted action, I have one. I also have a Nektar for integration for DAW I use.
                        Thanks! However I'm only looking at 61+ key models.

Comment

Only at Sweetwater! ✅  FREE Shipping and ✅  FREE Tech Support for Keyboard MIDI Controllers!

Comment

?

Comment

And if I plug the keyboard in direct to the PC, wouldn't I lose the benefit of the superior sound card of the AI, which is the point of having it in the first place (regarding the keyboard that is)?
                              No you would not! Your audio output and midi device do not need to be the same! Audio & MIDI are two completely different things.
                              The ONLY reason your Audio Interface has a 5 pin midi is for connecting a keyboard that doesn't have USB!

Comment

Working...
                              X